cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUP Mobile Workflow using Phonegap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the SUP world and I've had some success with porting an app that calls a ICF service (wrapped in a BSP) to multiple platforms using phonegap.

I'd like to add SUP in the mix and develop a Mobile Workflow app (hybrid) but use phonegap instead. Not having researched it very well, but I believe that phonegap would be a better alternative than SUP's hybrid web container.

I understand that SUP can expose objects, but I like not to include any client side code and simply use phonegap as a replacement.

In other words, what development workflow would enable me to generate a generic middleware layer with SUP (mbo, OData, rfcs...) such that I may use phonegap as my web container?

Is this possible? And would simply using AJAX calls work to interact with SUP, like so:

$.ajax({

type: "GET",

url: urlString,

data: "",

dataType: "json",

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

david_brandow
Contributor
0 Kudos

Obviously I'm biased, but I believe the hybrid web container provides a number of benefits over a generic hybrid applications, including, but not limited to:

- Automatic provisioning of applications

- Encryption of data in the client-side database, something HTML5 doesn't provide

- Encryption of the contents of the web application itself (JS, HTML, CSS)

- Push notification support

- Support for the occasionally disconnected use case, e.g. pushing messages onto a device-side queue while offline which silenty sends said messages as soon as the device comes online again

- Support for generating applications that work on all major platforms without having to go through the painful process yourself of figuring out what works on which platform and how

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

Those benefits are quite numerous. Does the HWC provide access to the device's hardware(camera, gps, ...) in the same fashion as PhoneGap does? If so, can you provide me links?

I am still in the process of examining the pros/cons of both technologies. I am glad to see that the HWC does indeed use jQueryMobile, do you have any links to novice guides using SUP 2.1?

Thanks.

david_brandow
Contributor
0 Kudos

The general help is available at:

http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#sup0210/en/com.sybase.infocenter.pubs.docset/doc/html/title.html

If you have something specifically you are interested in, let me know.

In terms of native device functionality, yes, HWC provides access to native device functionality. In the current shipping versions, however, it is only a subset of PhoneGap's supported functionality. We will be addressing this shortcoming shortly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In terms of hardware support (ie, camera, gps, ....) what does SUP 2.1 HWC officially support and where I can find guide/tutorials on how to access hardware for specific platforms?

I did not seem to find in the link you mentioned above.

RamBilasYadav
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Is it possible to consume OData services from SAP NW Gateway in SUP Hybrid Web Container?

If not possible currently any idea of future support.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ram.

SyambabuAllu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ram,

It's not possible to Hybrid Web Container apps though Gateway Services.

Thanks,

Syam.