cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file types in DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey SAP friends,

Can customer upload any type of file in to DMS? he says he need an option to upload the file with any extemsions that means

Are there any specific file types cannot be loaded?

sai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I am missing something, but I just created a dummy WS App type and assigned . as the extension. I was able to check-in a random xxxx.ter file using this new WS app type..

One restriction though is the editor or program that needs to be used to open files of this format. I think we can only have One editor each for Disp, Edit and print.. so whatever files get checked in would use this.

Thanks!

Dinesh

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Maruthi,

The . extension can be maintaing in DC30 in file format column.

But when you create or attach file what would you specify.

This wont work.

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mangesh,

Are you referring that when one needs to upload the file it will ask to select what is the file type he needs to upload like excel, word etc and formula of * . * wont be possible?

Hello dinesh,

did u define star dot star or only star. in DC30 was it fine for you.

any other help or inputs or what's the best way to handle the same

regards,

maruthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we define a workstation and give as extension start dot star (.) which will allow any kind of files to be loaded.

No.

any other help or inputs or what's the best way to handle the same

-Touchbase with your client and clearly identify all the possible file formats that they are using/intend to use in future.

-Define all these identified file formats as Workstation Application in DC30-Define Workstation application customization area.

-Only those files defined in the previous step will be supported for processing in SAP DMS.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear pradeep,

That was straight and perfect answer. thanks a lot friend.

Does any one have a list of file types with some extensions which are widely used, so that i can put in same and tell customer that these are currently available and if needed any more please let us know.

sai

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Maruthi,

Does any one have a list of file types with some extensions which are widely used, so that i can put in same and tell customer that these are currently available and if needed any more please let us know.

You need to discuss with your client team and get Information.

Standard application are available in DC30.

With warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mangesh/Pradeep

It was really great help, as suggested i will discuss with customer and ask him to give the list.

Below are my final small clarifications,

1) I will collect the file types from customer, group it and define workstation application the required extensions. correct me if i am wrong.

2) Once i group, i give file extensions if not in standard SAP in file format section. Correct me if i am wrong.

3) Once i do this should i do any more settings with respect to file extensions upload?

4) what does next sections in DC 30 help us with,

a) Define workstation application network.

b) Define templates for original files

c)Set up office integration.

My questions may be basic but need help on this, as i am new to this area

sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai Maruti,

1) I will collect the file types from customer, group it and define workstation application the required extensions. correct me if i am wrong

2) Once i group, i give file extensions if not in standard SAP in file format section. Correct me if i am wrong.

Yes.Please go ahead.

3) Once i do this should i do any more settings with respect to file extensions upload?

4) what does next sections in DC 30 help us with,

a) Define workstation application network.

b) Define templates for original files

c)Set up office integration

This [wiki|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/2.Customizing(CA-DMS-EAI)] link explains all your queries in detail. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Customer should be able to upload file with extensions only for which configurations have been done in section define workstation application using DC30.

Also refer below link for more details on supported file formats.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/2.Customizing(CA-DMS-EAI)

It has reference to some SAP notes which can be useful to you.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

It was very good guidance from you.

Can we define a workstation and give as extension start dot star (.) which will allow any kind of files to be loaded.

regards,

sai

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sai,

Yes, File extension . should work.

Regards,

Deepak Kori