cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equipment and serial number

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus

I'm new to CS module. Just a little confused between serial numbers and equipment. First of all Please explain what is an equipment in SAP and its usage. And its relation with serial numbers.

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you are not aware of the Forum for CS/PM i.e."EAM" Forum.

Please ref. to many forum posts.

However you can make a note that An equipment is a basic phisical object of a material at given Functional location.

Even an equipment may be a component/object of a assembled material. For exaple a Motor in a big Generator. or Hard disk of a desk top computer.

The serial Number gives a unique identity to the Equipment once it is assigned to it

Keeping track of an Equipment in Service order processing in CS is very much controlled with the usage of Serial No.s

Further please explore in SAP IMG under the menu of Plant maintenance and Customer Service

Best regards

DSR

Edited by: D.Srinivasa Rao on Dec 6, 2011 12:01 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for replies. Just one confusion that when equipment number is itself unique then how exactly the serial number gives more control over it. Why not equipment number itself used in place of serial numbers.Please give some examples.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think the following link would give better information in this regards

http://www.sap-img.com/materials/inventory-serial-number-management.htm

Regards

DSR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Consider the scenario of the sale of a unit. As you know that it will be sold as a material, but if you create a serial number with equipment view, the system creates an equipment also. Once you sold one unit to a customer, when we create another sale we can't use the same serial number as it is already sold to another customer. The status in the serial number is validated during PGI, so the system will not allow doing PGI for the same serial number if the status is ECUS (at customer site).

While doing return/repair also, we can track the unit (equipment) if we have a serial number assigned to it.

Hope you are clear with this scenario.

Regards,

SAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

An equipment is a representation of a single physical object that is handled at a much more granular level than materials. An equipment is typically installed somewhere and can have extra information (like warranty or measurement data) and can have maintenance done on it. Usually it's a single entity for which you want to track data like maintenance work, history, or costs.

When you assign a serial number to it, we are making it as inventory relevant. Assigning a serial number to an equipment enables us to provide more control over the equipment in sales are its repair.

You may create an equipment with transaction IE01, and IQ01 (if you enable equipment view).

Regards,

SAM