cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO APPLY KERNEL PATCHES.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I need to apply latest Kernel Patches to the ECC 5.0 ( Uni-Code Kernel 6.40 with Java Engine) and ECC 6.0 ( IDES ver. / UniCode Kernel 7.00 ).

Can anybody help me with mentioning in <b>detail step-by-by procedure</b> for that? <b>Is it replacing the whole existing Kernel?</b>

Also I am bit confused with <b>" Applying Kernel Patch " and

" Kernel Ungragation"</b>. Can anybody please clarify that also.

Thanks and regards,

Pratip Bhattacharyya

SAP Basis Consultant

i2 Technologies

Bangalore, INDIA.

91 9886402986

pratip06@yahoo.co.in

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrip,

The process to download and install/update kernel patches can be found in SAP Note 19466.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you begin this process you will find that the SAPCAR cammand is used with the -xvf parameter to uncompress the kernel in the kernel directory /sapmnt/<SID>/exe.

By using the -tvf paramter first you can see what is inside the compressed file. This will allow you to better plan.

For example if you use the -tvf paramter and find that the saposcol is not updated, then you do not have to stop it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Dear Friends,

First of all I would like to say to you : <b>Subhash, Barry ,Matt, and Gus <b>“ THANKS A LOT.”</b></b>

Especially the link sent by Subhash is really helpful.

But before starting the process I would like to clear my rest of the doubts.

My ECC 5.0 (ABAP + JAVA) runs on Unicode Kernel 6.40 (Kernel Patch 10), OS : Windows 2003, DB : Oracle 9.2.

My first question is in service.sap.com -

Support Packages and Patches">>SAP NetWeaver">>SAP NETWEAVER">>SAP NETWEAVER 04">>Entry by Component">> Application Server ABAP ; <b>I am not sure what are the files I have to download both from #Database independent and Oracle.

Can you please guide me? </b>

Second and last question is, whether <b>“Applying Kernel patch”</b> and <b>“Upgradation of Kernel”</b> is same or not ? For example : <b>Can I replace a Unicode Kernel 6.40 (any patch level) by Unicode Kernel 7.00 in a SAP System ?

Or a nonunicode kernel 6.10 by nonunicode kernel 6.40? Is it really possible?</b>

Thank and regards,

Pratip

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratip,

<b>I am not sure what are the files I have to download both from #Database independent and Oracle.</b>

You can download only a few files for the kernel or the full compressed kernel, I always try to get the latest full compressed kernel SAR file, the kernel have 2 parts an OS Independent part and the OS Part, usually the OS independent full compressed kernel reads like this "SAPEXE_xxxxxxxxxx.SAR Kernel Part I (for Basis 640/620/610) Q4/2006" and the OS part reads like "SAPEXEDB_xxxxxxxxxxxx.SAR Kernel Part II (for Basis 640/620/610) Q4/2006" this files are compressed with SAR format and can be decompressed using SAPCAR.

<b>Applying Kernel patch” and “Upgradation of Kernel”</b>

Applying a kernel patch and upgrading the kernel is exacly the same both require the old kernel to be backed up and the application of a new one.

Hope this help!

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Juan,

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Yes , now I got a clear answer of my first question.

But still now one more problem.

I want to make sure of one thing. I have downloaded <b>SAPEXE_139-20000252.SAR</b> (As I found it as Latest full Kernel Pack)from <b>SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT UNICODE -> #Database independent -> Windows Server on IA32 32bit</b> But <b>Unable to find such full kernel in SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT UNICODE -> ORACLE -> Windows Server on IA32 32bit</b>.

In this case what should I do ?

Also I want to ask again that Can I replace a Unicode Kernel 6.40 (any patch level) by Unicode Kernel 7.00 in a SAP System ?

Or a nonunicode kernel 6.10 by nonunicode kernel 6.40? Is it really possible?

With regards,

Pratip Bhattacharyya

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratip:

I'm able to see SAPEXEDB_139-20000254.SAR in the oracle folder for Windows Server on IA32 32bit

SAP KERNEL 6.40 32-BIT UNICODE -> Windows Server on IA32 32bit -> ORACLE -> SAPEXEDB_139-20000254.SAR

<b>Can I replace a Unicode Kernel 6.40 (any patch level) by Unicode Kernel 7.00 in a SAP System ?</b><b>Or a nonunicode kernel 6.10 by nonunicode kernel 6.40? Is it really possible?</b>

I think you can, If i was you i will look for the upgrade guide and double check the procedure

Hope this help

Juan

Please reward points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Juan,

Sorry, That was may be some problem to load the page.

Now I also check the file. Again Thanks a lot.

Sure I will check the upgrade guide.

Hope it it solve my problem.

With best regards,

Pratip Bhattacharyya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrip,

In general, a N+1 kernel is downward-compatible with a N kernel. For example, the 6.40 kernel is downward-compatible with 6.20 systems -- and required as the 6.20 kernel was de-supported in 2005.

There are too many Notes to list here, but they are usually titled "Installing <rel N+1> kernel into <N> systems" or something similar (For example, see Note 787302 which has an explanation and related Notes). You may also do a Note search with the terms "downward-compatible kernel".

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Gurus,

As per you suggession I have replace the existing Kernel in CC5 with the latest one. But <b>after that system not starting. The disp+work stops after some time. Not connecting to the Database. </b>

<b>In Syslog " SAP Basis System: Initialization DB-Connect Failed, Return Code 000256 "

</b>

But all Oracle are running.

But by same process with same kernel update I have applied on SAP XI and it is running fine.

Please help me. It is very urgent.

Waiting for your reply.

With best regards,

Pratip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Also I want to add that in Developer trace it showing Kernel = 139 ( Latest applied)

and

• ERROR => OCI-call 'OCIEnvCreate' failed: rc = -1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratip,

I am also getting the same error, were you able to solve this issue?

If yes, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nagarjuna.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simple Step by Step approach

Make sure there is a recent full back up before appplying any patch/update.

Unpack kernel (either locally or remotely)

Stop SAP

Stop SAPOSCOL

Back up old kernel to oldkernelv78(Or whichever version)

Copy and paste new kernel into folder

Start sap

start SAPOSCOL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pratip

Check out this weblog it will show u the process how to apply kernel patches.

/people/thomas.jung/blog/2006/07/03/apply-support-packages-to-the-sdn-abap-as-sneak-preview

and yes when u applied a kernel pathces it replaced all the existing patches.one more thing i want to say that in the existing video the patches shown are for sneak preview

and u have to applied in ECC5.o and ECC6.0 so u have to search ur kernel patches in service.sap.com\pathces.

And i think applying kernel patch and updating kernel patch both the process are same,but not sure about this.

Hope it will help u.

Regards

Subhash