cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selection of production version based on least lead time through optimizer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

We have a scenario where we need to select the production version (out of say 2 production versions) with least lead time during the optimization run. Please note that the production version with least lead time is not the default production version which is used in planned order while planning run.

Is it possible to select the production version with least lead time through optimization run?

Thanks in advance!

Snigdho

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

m_manimaran
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, it is possible. Since optimizer is the cost based planning, it can be controlled through the costs maintained at the PDS/PPM and the delay costs in product master.

If you set minimum cost (single level variable cost will be considered by optimizer) for the least lead time production version i.e., PDS/PPM, the system will consider priority to this.

Regards,

Manimaran M.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your help.

But what if there is no delay cost and we want to plan purely based on lead time.. that is no impact of costs?

Thanks

Snigdho

m_manimaran
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As of my knowledge, if you want to use Optimizer, the algorithm is more based on costs only. If you use heuristics, then you can set highest priority for the least lead time PDS and it will be considered by the heuristic.

Regards,

Manimaran M.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your help.

I will rephrase my problem:

I am working on a single planned order where I would like the system to select the correct production version with least lead time (and that has to be done at the time of optimzation as the planning run is done based on the default production version). We have only two versions, the first one has the highest lead time.

I have also maintained mode priorities with the second version having priority A (with least cost maintained in the profile). Now since I am having only one order I caanot enter order priority for delay costs.

In this scenario how the system can pick up the second production version so as to schedule the order with minimal lead time?

Thanks again

Snigdho

m_manimaran
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I hope you use PPDS optimizer. Make sure that single level variable cost is maintained less for the least lead time PDS than the other one.

Also please check your optimization profile - Order creation tab. The setting should NOT be 'No order creation'. If it is, then it will not delete and recreate the order, instead, it will try to adjust the existing order.

Regards,

Manimaran M.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using PPDS Optimizer- it works as per following logic

1. PPDS Optimizer can't change source of supply so if you have 2 PDSs - it wont move order from one PDS (resource) to another

2. If you want PPDS Optimizer to select reosurce/production version based on lead time, you need to maintain aleternate Sequence in Routing/Receipy which will become anotehr mode in PDS

Let me know if you have any other query.

Vipul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Manimaran,

Thanks a lot again for your help. I have done exactly what you have suggested.. but still no result.

Perhaps I am missing something else..

Snigdho

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manimaran,

Could you please let me know for such case which optimizer profile would you use? And even if I maintain the cost in PDS_MAINT (in R/3) and CIF the data, which cost will this hit in Optimizer run? I believe this cost should not be reflected in setup cost or mode cost. And in case of delay cost we enter the cost based on priority, but in case of multiple production versions I am not entering the cost in delay, rather entering the same in the PDS only. A little more insight might help me...

Thanks

Snigdho

frank_horlacher
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

That answer is right. the PP/DS Optimizer does not change the production version (PDS or PPM in APO to be correct) of an order.

If you want the PP/DS optimizer to decide on alternative resources you need to have alternative modes in the activity of the operation of the order. To get alternative modes you need alternativ sequences in the ERP routing. The PP/DS optimzer cannot change components (requirements) if you have alternative BOMs in you production versions.

The SNP Optimizer is able to do that. The SNP Optimizer will select the production version (PDS or PPM) with the lowest cost. If you maintain the cost in relation with your lead time it will work as desired if not other costs disturb the result.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your help.

I have tried the same with PPM and heuristic, that works.

Closing the thread.

Thanks again

Answers (0)