cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM - Import of transports (urgent!!)

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, got a bit of an issue with the import of our transports - we are using ChaRM.

For our standard corrections, the following occurs:

Step 1 - Change Request is created and approved.

Step 2 - Change Document is created (ZDMJ)

Step 3 - Transport is created and task is released in SE10

Step 4 - ZDMJ is marked as In QAS

**At this point a TOC (Transport of copies) is created and automatically released**

Step 5 - The TOC is imported into QAS via the task list

Step 6 - ZDMJ is marked as QAS Test Successful

**At this point the original transport is released**

Step 7 - The original transport is imported into QAS via the task list

The above 7 steps are all working ok. HOWEVER, this is where the annoying part occurs. Lets just say that the ZDMJ is left as "QAS Test Successful" as no further actions are perfomed for a while. In the mean time we then run an import to Pre Production (we have Dev>QAS>Pre Prod>Prod) via the tasklist (this is a job scheduled daily).

The original transport would then be picked up in this job and be imported to Pre Production (even though this doesn't match up with the status of the ZDMJ)!! Then the task list is changed to "Go Live" and the import to Production is ran via the tasklist.

Once again, the original transport is then imported to Production (even though the Change Document in ChaRM still states QAS Test Successful)!!!! The transport simply doesn't match up to the status of the ZDMJ.

Is this normal ChaRM funtionality or have we set something up incorrectly????

The way it's currently working is completely useless to us!!!!!!

Please help asap, REALLY appreciate it!!!!!

Thanks

Shaun

Edited by: Agent 009 on Dec 1, 2011 5:41 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So as it stands...

We can release the original transport at QAS test successful. However, this means our TMS job will automatically import this to QAS, then PreProd, then Production (even though the ChaRM status won't match this).

or

We can release the original transport at PreProd test successful. This means it will automatically import to QAS, PreProd and Production at the correct time. However, this means our 3rd tier (PreProd) is not being used at all as there is no transport being imported here for testing.

I also read the following: (from )

Transport of copies option is available in each SAP system. This is a type of transport similar to customizing and workbench with its different behavior. Beauty with this type of transports is, it dies in the next target system. What does this mean??? Let's say I have three system landscape for my ECC system: DA1 -> QA1 -> PA1.

If you create a workbench request in DA1 system and release it, it goes to import buffer of QA1. Once imported in QA1, transport is now available in the import buffer of PA1 for import in PA1. But, if you create a Transport of Copy for the same transport in DA1 and release it, it will be in import queue of QA1. However, when you import this transport to QA1 it does not go to the import buffer of PA1.

Based on the above, it sounds like the TOC will only go to QAS (dies in target system).

Surely there's a way to get a TOC in PreProd? Or is there a better means of doing what we want.

Thanks again.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You actually dont need pre prod ....because sap recommends 3 tier landscape and that is why charms is designed for 3 tier landscape

eventhough we can customize it as per our convenience .....but my experience say the more changes you make the more pain you had during upgrades

for e.g no more sdcr transaction type in solman 7.1 so now the people who have sdcr transaction modified or changes wil have to face problems during upgrade.

so i suggest dont go for much changes instead .........for the time being transport by TOC till qa only then release it to preprod and prod queue if still not satisfied ..reject it....

sharing my experience...but again if it is mandatory you can very well make the changes as per requirement.

regards

prakhar

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar.

I fully understand what you're saying, however for us, PreProd is a mandatory inclusion.

So, with that in mind, how can we get it to work? You say we can customise to suit our needs...I just don't know what I'm supposed to customise.

Curently our TOC is being released at "In QAS".

At "QAS Successful" transport is released

The transport is then imported to QAS and PreProd.

What happens if testing fails in PreProd? The transport is still going to be imported to Prod when the job runs.

It's mandatory that we have 4 tier....I just don't see how it's possible using ChaRM...

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar

Really appreciate your replies.

My task list is setup correctly with the 4 tiers. I think it was the spro setting (actions depending upon status) which was giving me grief.

So based on your advice I have made some changes to this table. Now I am able to only release the original transport when PreProd Testing is successful. This is fantastic.

The only issue now is that the Transport of Copies is released and imported into QAS...however, how do I get the TOC imported into our 3rd tier (PreProd).

I added an entry in the "actions depending upon status" which says COPY_ALL in PreProd. However all this does is create a new TOC which can be imported into QAS.

Please - how do I import TOC into PreProd (third tier)?

This is my only outstanding issue.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Shaun

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

Thank you. Would you have any suggestions on how to make this change?

Is it possible to take the Transport of Copy all the way to PreProd? Then the original transport wouldn't be released until PreProd Test Successful....that would work nicely.

Is this config? Haven't seen anywhere where I can make this change...

Regards

Shaun

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As i said you need to check few things

task lisk

action profile -

the job which releases the TR should be executed only when testing is over in Pre Prod and you

spro settings----

change mangement-----action in change request management ...actions depending upon status

also assign conditions for status etc.

hope it helps

regards

prakhar

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

CHARM flow is perfect but for 3 tier landscape......................as you have mentioned there are 4 systems so in this case you need to modify the task list and schedule the jobs as per your requirements

moreover it is standard fuctionality once TR is released it appears in the PRD queue in your case its pre PRD so you can make the settings as per your requirement..................anyway you are not using standard so you can easily customize further to suit ur requirement

hope it clarifies

regards

prakhar