cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM activation in implementation project??

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

I am quite new to solution manager , i want to ask that if we have created an Implementation Project in Solution Manager What is the pupose of activating ChaRM in it?? when i can do configuration directly from "Configuration" in Solution Manager itself and directly transport it to landscape by the transport option in "SPLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN"??

Please guide

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you activate ChaRM in your implementation project you can firstly check if the minimum activities for CTS+ and the TMS have been configured. In addition the system will create an implementation cycle which is used to control the process of creating, releasing and importing transport orders through your integrated landscape. If you would like to use ChaRM to control your productive landscape, which can include many different SAP Solutions, you should active it for all implementation projects so that the project track is controlled and your landscape is consistent.

When you use the transport option in SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN you are transporting a project, with this option you will not transport settings from a development managed system to a quality managed system.

These are two different functions with two different purposes.

Kind regards,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the reply Labib

Please correct me if i am wrong..So whatever we are doing in CONFIGURATION (SOLAR02) is in DEV system isnt it??

for transporting these configurations to QAS and then PRD what exactly we have to do??

Please guide

CTS has been configured correctly.

Plus if u can elaborate what actually both transport carry with them??

I would appreciate ur early response

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sindra,

Sorry for the late reply. The typical process when you use charm, tms and a project in SolMan is:

1, Create project

2, Define Logical Components

3, Create IMG Project

4, Activate ChaRM (Task List is created)

5, Create Normal Change Document (linked to the task list you have created)

6, Create Transport Requests from your Change Document that is linked to the project's task list

7, In SOLAR02 select the IMG object to be modified

8, Make the IMG change in the managed system

9, Release the transport request in SE10 of the managed system

10, Use the task list / change document, to import the transport process

Please check the ChaRM Wiki, http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/ChangeRequestManagement, this gives a good example.

Regards,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

than k you Labib for ur help

I have done uptill step 4 u defined.

Can u Please help me how to link a change request to the task list i created in the previous step??

Thanks

Sidra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Within your change request you should have an action to create a change document. This action can be triggered when you have a error free change request, and the change request is in implementation. When you trigger this action the system will check which implementation task lists are open and you will have an option to select the task list if you have more than one open.

The important point to note is that you need to define the type of change document you need to create. In 7.0 you do this by defining the subject in the change request transaction, and in 7.1 you have to define the change planning information.

Hope this helps,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you Labib for ur reply.

I have a question regarding change request.. what should i select in Subject of change request ( should i select : NormalCorrection (Mainteneance ) ) ???

Thnks for the help

Sidra

Former Member
0 Kudos

i just got clue, the subject should be Development9Implementation) rite??

this gives rise to another question.. when i m creating change document it is not asking for the task list to be assigned?? how wud i know which task list it is assigned to ???

Please help

thanks

Sidra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sindra,

The assignment of the task list is made when you move the status of the change document to "In Development". If this is not happening it could be because you have no active task lists, or it could be an error in the configuration. You can check when the task list is assigned in the IMG (SPRO -> Solution Manager -> Scenario Settings -> Change Request Management -> Extended Configuration -> Change Transaction -> Change Transaction types -> Make settings for Change Transaction Types).

Regards,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Labib for ur continous support..

Please help ... when i create a change request with subject DEVELOPMENT(IMPLEMENTATION) its creating SDMI type request insted of SDMJ??

Plus What if we want to Transport some more changes to QAS and we realize it after transport to QAS... should be set the status of Change Document again to "In Development" and create another transport request???

Please Help

Thanks

Edited by: Hasan Sidra on Dec 12, 2011 10:53 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sindra,

When we have a normal correction we would normally use the Transport of Copies function to move developments into the QA system so we can check that we get the desired result. If we need to change our development we can change the development and assign the changed development to a new task in the Transport Order. When we want to transfer the development we can then release the task, create a new TOC and import the TOC. This can be completed as many times as required, the important point to remember is that we never release the Transport Order until we have completed the development.

If during the project cycle we need to perform a correction to the development when we are in the test phase we can use Test Messages (SDTM) to control the creation of a new transport and the import process.

If during the correction process you are finding that the status of the document is changing to a previous status then there could be a problem and you should have a warning or error message displayed in the ticket.

Hope this helps,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks labib

i have awarded you points for answers to my other posts as well.

actually my question was about project cycle..if we have changed our project cycle phase from "Development with releae" to "test" phase , can we be able to create more transport requests for the project cycle ?? (as far as i know when we will do the "Complete Deveopment" action all TOC will be transported to QAS and after successfull testing we import all TRs into QAS by the task list/project cycle) ??

Plus i have question about PROJECT STATUS SWITHCES as well..by default i have "cross" on every switch which in turn not letting me to release the transport from DEV.. should i open al switches??

I would really appreciate ur early reply

Thanks

Sidra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sindra,

If the Project Cycle is in Test you cannot create a Transport Order from your Normal Correction. When we are in the Test phase we should use a Test Message, transaction type SDTM, to move transports from Dev to QA. So with a test message we create the message using CRMD_ORDER and when we set the message into progress the message should be assigned to the task list that is in status Test. Within this transaction type you will be able to control the creation, release and import, or the transport without changing the project cycle status.

For the second point I would always ensure that no transports can be released in the development system. You can open the switch if you would prefer, but I would want to ensure that the solution is always used in the correct way, and that a transport is released in SolMan correctly, in the correct cycle phase. If the solution is not used in the correct way then you can expect to have issues with phases checks in the task list.

Hope this helps,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

i had the same understanding regarding the project switches.

when i try to release TOC by setting status "Development Complete" it reset my status to " In developmet" by giving warning that not all tasks for the request released???

thanks

sidra

Edited by: Hasan Sidra on Dec 12, 2011 5:01 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The reason for this is that you are completing the development without releasing the Transport Order. You can use TOC's without completing your development in the change document.

Once you create the TOC you can import it by going to the task list and scheduling a job to import into QA. This will then import the TOC without impacting the original Transport in DEV.

Regards,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

my task plan is in phase "Development with releae" , so when i try to import TOC to QAS by yhe option "Import Transport Request (Background)" , i have to remove the check "Release Task" otherwise it is giving error. second when i remove the check and schedule transport it gets status "Processing is not active" , neither the changes reflect in QAS.

further i have created only one TR and after importing (by the action stated above) and when i try to det" development Complete" it resets my status to "In Develoment" by giving warning "Not all the tasks are released"??

Please help

Edited by: Hasan Sidra on Dec 13, 2011 10:06 AM

Answers (0)