cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brrestore of controlfiles from brarchive session

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

I'm using brbackup and brarchive to perform my daily backup with RMAN.

Now I want to rebuild my System from scratch - That means all datafiles; Online and Offline Redologs are gone. at This stage I have all brtool related Log-Information from my Full and Incremental Backup (ending as *.fnr or *.inc)as well the log-Files (ending *.svd) from all of my finished brarchive Jobs.

As I am using RMAN - I suppose that first I have to get first a valid Control-file. As Controlfiles covers Information about Redologs for RMAN recovery I am looking for a way to restore just a controlfile from my last brarchive job (I want to do this with brrestore) and I need to use a brarchive Session because this controlfiles is the most current.

Unfortunately I could not find a way to restore a controlfile from any brarchive-session. If I call "brrestore -m 0" System will restore the control-file from my last brbackup-session. -or- If I try "brrestore -b logfile.svd -m 0" I get a Syntax message "illegal Value for -b"

Is there a way to extract a controlfile from an brarchive session?

thanks for any answer

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I doubt that brarchive will save controlfiles too.

Look at the log file; it will tell you whether or not your brarchive session did save controlfiles!

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry not to ask clearly,

of course, brarchive did save my controlfile - but the question I have: "how could I brrestore a controlfile from a previuosly finished brarchive-session" ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

of course, brarchive did save my controlfile

Really?

What does your brarchive log file say about control files?

Imho you cannot restore a file that has not been saved.

Or what am I missing here?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Look at the options below.

brrestore -b last -m all Restore all the tablespaces without the ORACLE control file and the online redo log files starting from the last successful backup.

brrestore -b bcnmhluz.aft -m full Restore all the files starting from backup bcnmhluz.aft, including the ORACLE control files and online redo log files.

brarchive option copies only redo log files . It will not backup controlfiles.

brbackup will backup controlfiles along with datafiles based on appropriate options.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find below the related section from my brarchive logfile.svd

---snipp

BR0280I BRARCHIVE time stamp: 2011-11-28 17.05.31

#PFLOG.... /oracle/SOS/saparch/archSOS.log

#SAVED.... SOS___A0GVJO63BV

BKI0023I: Time: 11/28/11 17:05:31 Done: 53.953 MB (50.0 %) of 107.813 MB. Estimated end time: 11/28/11 17:05:32.

BKI0053I: Time: 11/28/11 17:05:31 Object: 1 of 8 done: /oracle/SOS/sapreorg/cntrlSOS.dbf with: 53.859 MB saved with description SOS___A0GVJO63BV.

BKI0055I: Object /oracle/SOS/sapreorg/cntrlSOS.dbf with 53.859 MB saved with description SOS___A0GVJO63BV_SAP-SOS-TDP@MCDB-SAP-LOG1-T21#305195 1.COPY 00379.

BKI0023I: Time: 11/28/11 17:05:31 Done: 107.813 MB (100.0 %) of 107.813 MB. Estimated end time: 11/28/11 17:05:31.

BKI0053I: Time: 11/28/11 17:05:31 Object: 1 of 8 done: /oracle/SOS/sapreorg/cntrlSOS.dbf with: 53.859 MB saved with description SOS___A0GVJO63BV.

BKI0055I: Object /oracle/SOS/sapreorg/cntrlSOS.dbf with 53.859 MB saved with description SOS___A0GVJO63BV_SAP-SOS-TDP@MCDB-SAP-LOG2-T21#305196 2.COPY 00379.

---snap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for making it clear.

Never seen this with brarchive before.

Now for your question: I don't know how to restore.

But somehow I suspect you may do it with rman, not with brrestore

Or perhaps with -d rman option of brrestore.

hope this helps

Edited by: Joe Bo on Nov 29, 2011 3:23 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thought about it:

The lines beginning with BKI0023I aren't from brarchive, nor from rman.

They are from your external backup tool, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager perhaps?

So you might want to look how your external backup tool might help in restore.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

you are right, about "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager" as backup tool. And sure I did restore the file using the native Tivoli functions - But anyway, I suppose there should be way to get the control-file using brtool functions -

I keep my question open, probably someone has found a solution

kind regards

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

try this:

brrestore -m 0 -b2 SOS___A0GVJO63BV ... -q

-m 0 restore controlfile

-b2 id use backint id for lookup, not protocoll-file

... the rest of the parameter you usually would take.

-q query

EDIT

... just to finish that: for the final restore ommit "-q"

Got a ref: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp01/helpdata/EN/0d/d3076e4a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm

As for info to non-rman Users:

RMAN with 3rd Party integration usually saves the DB and/or the archivelogs with RMAN using

Oracle SBT devices which will be linked to teh 3rd party vendor. For the recovery of such a backup, the

controlfile which recorded the location of the backed up files is essential, this is why brarchive saves

a copy of the controlfile at the end of the backup.

Therfore I recommend strongly to do a save run (-s, no delete) and when this one is finished successfully,

do a delete-saved (-ds) to be sure to keep the logs until the controlfile is saved.

Would be bad, doing -sd and hitting the end of the tape

The controlfile itself is saved with general backint utility calls (same as for the protocoll and profiles).

So the controlfile could even been restored manually using backint, as long as you know the backint id.

You could also peek into this thread:

where we had some discussion on using backint directly for several inquirey purposes.

Hope it works

Volker

Edited by: Volker Borowski on Nov 29, 2011 9:15 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

and with special thanks to Volker for his valuable hint - which solved my issue.

For all others: I found the OSS-Note [554138|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/554138] which confirmes Volkers hint and in addition there is a description in which cases controlfiles are written by brarchive.

kind regards

Answers (0)