cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostics agent in managed systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are trying to set up RCA in solution manager.

For this, we need to install diagnostics agents in managed systems.

But, i think those agents are already installed in out systems and am not sure of it. Can anyone please let me know how can i find if diagnostic agent is installed in managed system.

Please do clarify one more thing, we need Solution manager diagnostics in solman system and solution manager diagnostics agents in managed systems. Am i correct??

Please help me out on this.

Regards,

Ram.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ram,

As Gerd mentioned above, you can identify the preexisting SMD on your host via filesystem structure. If the host is a windows server then just look for the DAA or SMD system in MMC.

Newer NW installations include diagnostic agent included by default.In this case you need to uninstall the existing SMD and re-install the agent with correct Sol Man connection info.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The folder DAA exists in my file system under /usr/sap. In that i can see seperate folders for agents, but am not sure which agent is for which system. I checked in profile folder (/usr/sap/DAA/SYS), and in that profiles exist for each system. So is it the way, in which we can find which agent is for which system?

And also, for one system (GRC), the agent folder is missing in DAA folder. So if we want to install new agent for this GRC system, do we need to install it from SAPinst. If we do that, will it create another folder or it create in existing DAA folder.

My doubt is, if agents are installed for each managed system, would it create different directories like DAA or DAB etc or would it create all the agent directories in the single folder DAA.

Our OS is IBM iSeries (AS 400) on DB2.

Hope am clear with my question.

Regards,

Ram,

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not understanding why do you want to have more than one agent for a host ( DAA, DAB etc... )

Please go thru below wiki. It has everything you need to know.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Diagnostics+Agents

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ram,

You'll find answers for your doubts in the guide inside this note:

Note 1365123 - Installation of Diagnostics Agents

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have gone through all the documents that specified earlier itself.

Our OS is IBM iSeries, so we have multiple SAP systems installed in a single LPAR.

So all the diagnostics agents for all those systems installed in that LPAR should exist in that LPAR itself.

In that way, we have DAA folder in usr/sap of that LPAR. In that DAA folder, we have mutliple folder called ADMA97, ADMA98 etc. So these ADMnn folders represent agents for each system right?. So, how to idenfify that particular agent is for which system? All i could make out is from SYS/profile folder in that DAA folder. I have checked the profiles and identified the host name related to a paricular SAP system.

As per SAP document, these diagnostic agents are automatically installed with system installation as of SAP Web AS 7.0 SR3. All our systems are above that level and i still see some diagnostic agents are not installes for some SAP systems. Is there any possibility like this? SO if i again install the missing diagnostic agents, will they be created under the same /usr/sap/DAA folder or will it create a new folder??

Hope am clear...

Awaiting your inputs and thanksin advance.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this on the guide I mentioned:

Each Diagnostics Agent manages the supported systems / components running on the host where it is installed (and is considered as being representative for the host)

u2013Refer to the next slides to understand what is considered to be a supported system component

u2013In all cases, repeat the u201CManaged System configurationu201D (solman_setup) for each technical system running on that host (physical, virtual or logical)

Even If you have mutiple SAP instances running on a LPAR, you need only one Diagnostic Agent installed on the LPAR.

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

In our LPAR, there are 5 SAP instances running. So as per you, if only one diagnostic agent is sufficient, then to which system this diagnostic agent should represent?

Actually in our LPAR file system, we have 4 diagnostic agents (SMDA93, SMDA94 etc) exists under /usr/sap/DAA folder and a seperate profile file exists for all these agents in SYS/profile folder. So why do we have many diagnostics agents exists, if one is sifficient.

What is think is, whenever a new system in installed in the same LPAR, a new diagnostic agent gets installed and it is under the same DAA folder. Thats why we have many diagnostic agents under same DAA folder. Am i right?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ram,

As the documentation states, "the agent is representative for the host". It means that it represents all the SAP instances in the LPAR. it doesn't make sense to install 4 DAA agents. You should use only one of them. For each of the SAP instances in the host you have to repeat the "managed system configuration", but you always have to use the same DAA.

As you said, you have four agents probably because the default installation options for new NW versions install them.

But the point is, You'll only need one, so you should un-install other agents and use only one for the whole LPAR. Have a look at the guide to the correct procedure regarding agent installation and check you'll use the corresponding DAA version according to your solman.

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rama just I want to brief you what the experts have earlier said.

SMD Agent Installation is done along with Solution Manager Installation.Each system need only one smd agent,multiple smd agents are not at all required.If there are still multiple smd agents you can uninstall that.

Edited by: Joydeep Gupta on Dec 5, 2011 4:15 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ram,

did this some weeks ago.

The agents are like little sap systems, so if it is already installed you should find it in the /usr/sap path, a system with name DAA or SMD.

However you should install an up to date version anyways (7.20 it was for me).

You can find the setup guide attached to sap note 1368413.

After the installation of the diagnostics agent with sapinst you should also update the host agent (see sap note 1031096 and attachment).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gerd