Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with DropDownByKey Events and Usability

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are having some problems with the DropDownByKey Element:

First Problem:

The onSelect event is fired twice. We have verified it in two ways:

1) Setting a breakpoint (it is caught twice within seconds)

2) Watching the HTTP traffic with fiddler

This seems to be a bug in the framework and it's pretty problematic: if you load data in onSelect you end up loading it twice.

The effect can be observed here when one selects country:

https://extwarranty.leica-geosystems.com/zlgs/wda/extwarranty_reg/

2 GETs are generated

https://extwarranty.leica-geosystems.com/zlgs/wda/extwarranty_reg/?sap-contextid=SID%3aANON%3aHSRVMA...

https://extwarranty.leica-geosystems.com/zlgs/wda/extwarranty_reg/?sap-contextid=SID%3aANON%3aHSRVMA...

Second Problem:

When tabbing to a dropdown you cannot enter any text. Usually one would tab to a control and enter "Germ" and it would select "Germany". But in this framework you have to first use the mouse to popup all the options before you can type anything.

Again, this seems a horrible issue for usability.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

The reply which eventually came was to upgrade to the latest support package level.

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We are having some problems with the DropDownByKey Element:

> First Problem:

> The onSelect event is fired twice. We have verified it in two ways:

> Second Problem:

> When tabbing to a dropdown you cannot enter any text. Usually one would tab to a control and enter "Germ" and it would select "Germany". But in this framework you have to first use the mouse to popup all the options before you can type anything.

Hi,

I checked these 2 mentioned issues wrt dropdown by index UI element and it is perfectly working fine. onSelect event is triggered only once and for 2nd problem, I need to type very fast e.g. Germ to select text Germany.

I am not sure for DropDownByKey.

Thanks,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Chandra, did you try my link? I think you'll find it behaves as I described (at least in in Internet Explorer).

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I said that, I didnot observed this kind of issue in my application where I am using DropDownByIndex.

Yes i observed the problem that you mentioned for your application in IE. also i noticed that, there is JS error "Object doesnu2019t support this property or method" getting displayed in IE status bar. There should be some issue with support pack or MIME repository but i am not sure.

you may want to try using DropDownByIndex inplace of DropDownByKey.

Thanks,

Chandra

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One more observation, your Language dropdown seems to be working fine. I can type and select different languages. is it DropDownByIndex?

Thanks,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you'll find the problem is with all the dropdown boxes (Lang is also DDByKey). However you only see the effect if you tab to the control. If you click on it then the list pops up and, after that you can type.

I would like perhaps someone to tell me if there is an official fix for this error because officially WD for Abap supports IE but this problem occurs in all versions of IE7, 8 & 9. If you don't have this error in your app it's maybe because you have a patch or a newer release that us?

PS: We moved all our apps away from DDByIndex because DDByKey is easier to work with.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I just tested the drop down by key via tabbing into the field on my system and it works fine. But then again my system is 7.31 SP1. This would indicate, however, that the behaviour you are seeing is corrected at some point.

For both of these issues, I would recommend opening a support ticket and letting SAP support suggest or provide a fix. Likely it is a unified rendering fix. These rendering notes are available as support notes, but often don't document all the things they fix.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, I did that but am still waiting on a reply some 2 weeks later...