cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS as main tool for imports from development to quality?

marcin_cholewczuk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Up till now I've seen several ways to import data from development in to quality:

- automatic import after some period of time

- custom report

- SAP standard transport workflow

In company for which I'm curently working all employees are using STMS. In my opinion it is not safe (I've always treated it as a tool for basis team), but I would like to know what you're thinking about it. Maybe I'm just to cautious.

Are there other ways for importing data?

Best Regards

Marcin Cholewczuk

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_ruth3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Marcin,

If your company is allowing everyone to transport, then they are setting themselves up for failure. You are correct, it is, and should be, a Basis task only.

As far as other ways to import data, the only other solution I know of is some 3rd party bolt on application, unless someone knows of another way.

God bless us, one and all !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is also possible (we did it) to write some custom scripts to automate the imports.

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

marcin_cholewczuk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for all ideas. I guess I should talk to my client once again.

BR

Marcin Cholewczuk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Please set up Solution Manager CharM for moving transport.

Regards,

Rajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Logon to your domain control system and set the below profile parameter.

NO_IMPORT_ALL = 1 and distribute and activate the configuration.

This is disable the full load truck in your systems.

I hope it will help you.

Regards,

Kiran V

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks, it works for me.

www.acoolme.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,

I think that auto-import is a good option for QA Systems:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/c098e4be-baa5-2a10-fc88-aa2c83aa0ec6

Regarding best approaches...well, I think in this case the best way is go to the source of the problem, I mean the transport release. Not all users should be able to create or release transport requests. If you control the transports from the source, then you can choose an automatic transport methodology for QA.

In the following link you'll find nice definition regarding roles and responsibilities:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/57/9a9838e914a20de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Cheers,

Diego.

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SAP transport management system is primarily used to carry out export and import between systems in the landscape generally. The core functionality of TMS is always used and does not change for any customizations done to the transport management such as using custom report , workflow or any 3rd party tool .

marcin_cholewczuk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, I know, but it's not what I'm asking.

BR

Marcin Cholewczuk

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree it's not safe if many employees are allowed to use STMS.

For example one developer adds a new transport to the import queue, and a few seconds later another developer clicks on 'import all', assuming only his transports are there...

Not to mention those developers who don't really understand how the transport system works...

And afterwards it will be basis's task to clean up things.

(And I know what I am talking about, trust me!)

regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> For example one developer adds a new transport to the import queue, and a few seconds later another developer clicks on 'import all', assuming only his transports are there...

Set

NO_GLOBAL = 1

in the TMS profile on each of the systems where "import all" is not wanted. This will hide the button.

Markus