cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible parameter set too specifically will it affect my database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I performed an upgrade from 9 to 10.2, when setting the compatible parameter I set that to 10.2.0.5 instead of 10.2.0.

I know that according to note 830576 and the guide, that parameter should be 10.2.0 but since I can't change it, I want to know if there would be any problems with the database or the SAP system

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

at first you should understand what happens when you set this parameter. Please check the official documentation for a detailed explanation: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/create005.htm#ADMIN11112

I want to know if there would be any problems with the database or the SAP system

Running your Oracle database with a 4 digit compatible parameter is not a "problem", but maybe you are not able to perform a rollback of the 10.2.0.5 patchset without a restore anymore. That's the reason why SAP (and other vendors) recommend to set only 2-3 digits of the oracle version.

Only Oracle knows, If the current patchset 10.2.0.5 (already) changed some stuff that is incompatible with an older 10g R2 patchset.

- A new feature stores any data on disk (including data dictionary changes) that cannot be processed with your previous release.

- An existing feature behaves differently in the new environment as compared to the old environment. This type of incompatibility is classified as a language incompatibility.

You can try to lower it and restart your DB - if your database is already incompatible you will get an ORA error.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your quick response Stefan, unfortunately, I've already tried to change the compatible parameter back to 10.2.0 and the database sent an error when I tried to start it.

What you mention about the rollback, this procedure is to be applied when there have been found problems with the current patchset?

Again, thank you.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

so Oracle unfortunately changed some internal structures according to 10.2.0.5.

What you mention about the rollback, this procedure is to be applied when there have been found problems with the current patchset?

Yes - if your database runs fine after the upgrade - don't worry about the compatible parameter anymore.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your replies Stefan, you were really helpful.

Answers (0)