cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does it happen with automatic time hierarchy in Universe Designer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

when I try to create an automatic time hierarchy on a date type objects it only allows me to create Year and Month detail, except Quarter because Quarter appears disabled. Why? How can I make Quarter option be enabled?

Edited by: PadawanGirl on Nov 24, 2011 4:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Automatic time hierarchies are a bad idea.

That being said, Designer will only create automatic hierarchy levels where it knows the appropriate database functions. For example, Informix for many years did not have a Quarter() function, so that level of the time hierarchy was not available.

You would be far better served to create your date / time hierarchies manually, using whatever functions you need to derive month, quarter, and year from a date value. Or better yet, have a calendar table that does the hierarchy for you and simply create a join.

In my opinion, automatic time hierarchies are one of the worst features that Designer offers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you're right. I created a pair of those automatic time objects and it is impossible to change their format if for example I want to show 2009 instead of 2,009

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like know which version you are using in project.

We can change the automatic time hierarchy by editing the object in universe designer

Path-> right click on object and navigate to properties tab in that you can find Automatic time hierarchy column.

Click on automatic time hierarchy column and change as per your requirement.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Could you please let us know what database and version you are using. We are able to build Quarter detail using Island Resorts universe.

Thanks,

Suri.