cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOXI R2 to BO 4.0 Migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Currently i am working on BO migration project, as i am from EIM platform i have few queries in BO migration, anyone could please help me by clarifying the below queries.

The current version of system is BO XIR2, migrating to BO 4.0 version. For this we are using SAP provided Upgrade Management tool with BO 4.0. We have very less BO content (i.e. Universes, WebI & Crystal documents, Users, Folders, etc.). Apart this BO reporting content, we have some flat files (CSV) in three folders of around 65 GB. So we planned this migration in two phases, first to move all content excluding the three above said folders which contains flat files. Second we are planning to move all the CSV files by incremental model (5 or 10 GB at a time). This about the all what we are planning to migrate to new BO 4.0 Dev system from current BO XIR2 Production system.

Here i have few queries about the migration process and upgrade management tool:

1. In order to migrate the whole BO XI R2 reporting content from Production to BO 4.0 Development system, is it mandatory to take the downtime of BO XI R2 Production system? (As per the best practices, it is better to take the downtime, in order avoid any changes in repository during migration)

2. Is it mandatory to take the downtime to move the CSV files from BO XIR2 Production to BO 4.0 (as these files are not accessible by anyone at any time, we are using those three BO folders to store the files purpose only)

3. During Live-to-Live migration, is Upgrade Management / Import Wizard tool locks both the source and target BO system?

4. Do we have any size limitations to migrate in Upgrade Management / Import Wizard Tools (e.g. at a time max only 10 GB data will migrate)?

Could anyone please help me out here!

Thanks & Regards,

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

please find some answers below.

1. A Downtime would be better. Otherwise you could create a "code freeze" time. That f.e. starting on Date X the Rel.2 System is Read Only. If the Users have only read Access during the process of the Migration with the UMT nothing should happen.

You could apply this by setting all Groups to the "View" right on Folder and Universe Level

2. Also a Downtime would be good here. But i think if the Files are only getting accessed by Read operations, you can copy them to the new Server. Only copying should work. Moving not cause they are possibly locked by some of the Rel.2 Services like WebI and CR

3. Not as far as i know. This wasnt the case in XI 3.1 with the IW. Until now i didnt heared that they changed that for the UMT

4. If you say that your Objects in the Rel.2 are not that much i dont think you get into trouble. The huge part of 65 GB are the .CSV Files and you dont migrate them because they are the Datasource and somwhere on that Rel.2 Server or on a remote location

...Or did i get this wrong and you uploaded those .CSV files into InfoView? Than the UMT will take them aswell.

Hope this helps.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian Wiefett,

Thanks for your quick reply, your answers clarifies most of most queries.

Yes we are storing all the CSV files in InfoView folders and the size of that three folders is 65 GB. Now to copy these to new BO4.0 Dev system from BO XI R2 Production, we have to use UMT right? If i move the whole files i.e. 65 GB how much time will it take, during this copying process do we need BO XI R2 system downtime? Will they provide that much down time.

The CSV files in InfoView folder are not accessed by any users, those are not allowed to edit, then can't we migrate these CSV files directly without taking down time? Or is it mandatory to need downtime?

Thanks & Regards,

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

0 Kudos

Hi,

so if they are published to Rel.2 this looks different.

Just to clarify it a bit more...these Files are no Datasources for Reports and Universes and your Users dont consume them via InfoView?!

Whats the purpose for these Files? If they have none, you can de- select them in the UMT and dont migrate them (or better said move them cause you wont actually migrate .csv files). But if nobody touches them, you can move them with the UMT during daily business...how long it will take i cant estimate it. But 65GB for .CSV files is a huge amount.

But you are correct, to move them from Rel.2 to BI4 you have to use the UMT.

If you have the ressources and time i would recommend the following (Thats what i usually do with my customers):

1. Setup a Machine (could be a VM) with the same OS and BOE Version (included SPs and FPs) as your production Rel.2

2. Schedule a half day or day Downtime to copy the content 1:1 from the production Rel.2 to the VM Rel.2 with the IW or CMS DB Copy. Or do this after Business Hours.

- With this Size of your FileStore i would recommend the CMS DB copy way.

- Now you have a 1:1 Testing Environment of your Production Environment

3. Use the UMT to migrate from your VM Rel.2 to your BI4 installation

- Here you can see how long it takes

- You can check if the UMT is capable for this 65GB transfer

- Can sort out other possible issues

- Do some other Testing

After you did that you have a perfect estimation on how long the Migration will take and what for issues you are facing. With this information you can decide if you need a downtime or can do it after Business Hours f.e.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sebastian Wiefett,

I am clear about the approach and selected incremental migration strategy.

We are now facing with an error in between the migration i.e. we are using Upgrade Management Tool to migrate the BO XI R2 content to BO BI 4.0 using incremental method, after selecting the required objects (Universes, Crystal Reports, WebI and other) and start the migration, in between the upgrade Management tool is giving the following error:

Upgrade process has been interrupted by an error: XSD file parsing exception occurred:'Restriction could not find base type meta-data: base='io:Object''' (FWM 04011)

We tried to find the resolution for this error in service market also, but didn't find any information about this error. Please help me out here.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram /Sebastian,

I have the exact same error as you got. And I am following the same route to get my stuff into BI 4.0

We have a XI R2 , I am migrating it to BI 4.0 ( Edge) using incremental upgrade option in UMT and was hit by the exact same error.

Could either of you help ?

Regds

Girish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Girish,

It seems your are taking about the below error:

Upgrade process has been interrupted by an error: XSD file parsing exception occurred:'Restriction could not find base type meta-data: base='io:Object''' (FWM 04011)

Regarding the above error, as per our analysis we come to know that this error is because of, if any crystal reports or web intelligence reports having schedulings and publishing those in PDF, if you try to migrate those along with the instances, then we will get this error i.e. FWM 04011.

From one of the SAP mentor, we came to know that this is a bug and this bug is resolved in latest future packs. So, inoder to overcome this issue, before starting the migration, first we have to apply the latest support packs / future packs of BusinessObjects Edge.

We are currently applying the service pack 2 for business objects 4.0, once we done i will update the same here.

For time being, to complete the migration, we moved all the Crytal Reports and WebI Reports seperately without instances. By this we done the complete migration.

Hope this helps you...

Thanks,

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Awesome Ram,

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes I did get the same error and then after further looking into this I found a note which talks about the same error. The note # is 1663459 and they say the same - i.e. to upgrade the install to latest SP and patch.

Sorry that I could not assign points to you as it seems this thread is already 'answered'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting same error. Using target as 4.0 SP3 and source as XI-R2.

Answers (0)