cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on mobile device management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm not sure where to post this question since I couldn't find a forum specific to Afaria, so thought someone here might be able to help.

1. Afaria mobile device management solution claims that data and content is backed up and can be deleted if a device is stolen or lost. Can this deletion be done if the mobile is switched off of the SIM card has been removed? What is the mechanism of the data deletion process when the device is either ON/OFF?

2. How does Afaria handle online and offline user authentication? If a mobile app is opened, can Afaria be configured to force the user to enter credentials for authentication? Or should there be a separate login page as a part of the mobile app? (The user's credentials are needed to find his role from LDAP and the rest of the app to work properly, which is y the question).

Thanks & Regards,

Vaishnavi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the helpful information!

Regards,

Vaishnavi

Former Member
0 Kudos

This forum is fine for Afaria discussions and questions, no worries.

1. If mobile device is switched off or not network connected then Afaria is not able to do anything with that device. The content though would be secured, encrypted etc. so that there should be no risk as long as the device is switched off. The "kill device" command that can be sent from Afaria will work if device is turned on and connected to a network.

2. Afaria can force quite a lot of things and one of them is regarding the device itself, forcing a password/pin type of unlocking. The mobile app normally has it's own mechanism for authentication, user name and password. That is a SUP function and has little to do with Afaria, I don't believe Afaria can force that part of authentication.

You can get a good overview of the technical part of Afaria here: [Afaria Technical White paper|http://www.sybase.com/files/White_Papers/Afaria-Technical-WP.pdf]