Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client copy profiles: SAP_USER SAP_UONL SAP_PROF

kashyap_shah3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have explained my understanding below and need you experts to confirm the same:

1) Client is not reset when used any of 3 mentioned copy profile.

2) SAP_USER copies Users, Roles, Authorization profile

SAP_UONL copies only Users WITHOUT Roles and Authorization profile

SAP_PROF copies only Roles and Authorization profile WITHOUT Users

I need to understand two things

1) what happens to Role assignment to Users:

As per my understanding using SAP_USER Role assignment of source client will be copied. Using SAP_UONL Role assignment of target client will be intact and not changed and same with SAP_PROF

Could any one please confirm above understanding.

2) If I export one client using SAP_UONL profile and another client using SAP_PROF profile then I perform a client copy (may be using SAP_ALL) on third client and then I import both transport requests (once carrying SAP_UONL from a client, another carrying SAP_PROF from another client) to the target client of copy would it mean that it would contain

Application data from source of client copy +

Users from a client +

Roles and Profile from another client +

Role assignment intact in target client (as have come from source of client copy)

I know it sounds very complex but please try and address my query.

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

SAP Technology Consultant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1.what happens to Role assignment to Users:

As per my understanding using SAP_USER Role assignment of source client will be copied. Using SAP_UONL Role assignment of target client will be intact and not changed and same with SAP_PROF

With SAP_USER master data including user assigment will get overwritten for existing users on the target system, SAP_UONL and SAP_PROF does not involve role assigments.

2.Role assignment intact in target client (as have come from source of client copy)

In theory yes.

Regards

Juan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Juan: I don't think so role assignment will remain intact to users. E.g. If users are assigned to some role that does not exist after copy (Role and profiles) then it will make system inconsistent. So, in principle role assignment should not be there in the user profiles.

Thanks

Sunny

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have a valid point Sunny... I usually set up a sandbox and do my testing so I don't have to stand on assumptions.

Regards

Juan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I truly agree with Juan. Best option to do a test copy.

Thanks

Sunny

kashyap_shah3
Contributor
0 Kudos

I just carried out client copy in following sequence:

Source client: 400

Target client: 403

1) Exported client 403 using SAP_UONL profile to SIDK90029 transport request.

2) Performed a local client copy from 400 --> 403 using SAP_ALL profile

3) Imported above transport SIDK90029 followed by Post-Client Import Methods (SCC7).

I would like to share following results:

1) All users existed on 403 came as it is along with role assignment as on 403 (subject to role existed on 400).

2) But all roles appeared in RED so I had to carry out User Master Data Reconcillation (PFUD).

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have not tried this approach. But I am sure that if you will follow this approach then user assignment to Roles and profiles will not be copied. And there will not be any Role/Profile assignment to user.

Thanks

Sunny

kashyap_shah3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Sunny for your reply.

But such a small answer to such big query

You mean users would have no roles assigned or it would remain unchanged.

Thanks & Regards,

Kashyap Shah