Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher level Item category determination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Please help me for the following queries:

This is with regarding Item category determination, I understand that SAP identify & determines TANN item category (OR + NORM + No usage + TAN) for a sales item, if that Material is a BOM material for Main material (TAN item category) which is created in CS01. (Correct me If I am wrong)

My question is,

1. What should be the Item category (Document, Text, Stock item...) to be chosen for sub items like Brochures, pamplets in CS01?

2. And while creating a Sale order, how to explode that BOM for a material (TAN item category) which will in turn take TANN item category determination for sub items?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Vijaynk86 on Nov 23, 2011 12:01 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

See, it all depends on how you configure your 'item category determination' settings.

You can do it in many ways.

My opinion is, 'free goods' concept is NOT needed/not appropriate for this. (strictly NOT recommended)

Brochures, etc, etc as text items.

Do this:(In your item category determination)

OR BLANK TEXT TAN TATX

Another option is, you can also manually change the item category in SO to TANN or TATX (once you give TANN in "MItCa" column, in your item cat det for text)

Hope you are clear now.

Rgds

Sumanth.G

Edited by: SUMANTH GURURAJ on Nov 23, 2011 6:29 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mr. Pradeep and Mr. Sumanth.

I'm in verge of exploring and have asked for learning purpose. Thank you Mr. Pradeep for letting me know the concept of Free goods, and how it very well determines the TANN item category.

Hi Mr. Sumanth,

As per your suggestion of Text item and Item category determination,

OR BLANK TEXT TAN TATX

I have some basic doubts which might sound silly & stupid (Am sorry for that). Can you please clarify my basic doubts:

A) If I'm using Brochure as text item,

1. Where do I need to specify the Brochure item and its quantities?

2. How many line items would exist in the Sale order if I'm using the Brochure as Text item? (Referring to the example which I mentioned)

3. How to use the Brochure item as text item? Do I need to link with the 2 Main items(Yellow and Blue)? If so, how to do it?

B) You have suggested the following Item category determination:

OR BLANK TEXT TAN TATX

Here, Item Usage is TEXT, I assume that Item usage triggers from VD51 - Customer Material Info record (Correct me If I am wrong).

If that is the case, then Brochure item should also be maintained as a Material item, only then I could configure the Customer Material Info record.

If what I said is correct in the above statement? then I need to maintain BLANK Item category in the "Brochure Material master", which in turn make my Material Master Settings as "Optional" field for Item category field.

I assume that this might result in errors if the User missed to enter Item category in the Material master.

Correct me Please.

(P.S: Sorry for my silly and stupid doubts, I have no one to ask and get clarified)

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

Waiting for your help.

Thanks,

Vijay N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing this thread, since No response has come..

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think, your concept of using BOM for brochures, pamplets, etc.. is itself wrong/inappropriate..(process point of view)

Those can be set as text items.

I do NOT see any reason for using BOM here.

Rgds

Sumanth G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mr. Sumanth for your reply.

Can you please tell me how SAP recognise the material and determines as TANN Item category determination.

I understand that, Item category determination for

TAN = OR + NORM + No usage + No higher level

TANN = OR + NORM + No usage + TAN

Now my question is, how the system determines a material as TANN item category?

For ex: If I want to create a Sale order for 2 paint materials, such as Yellow colour and Blue colour, with addition to that I want to provide 10 brochures (5 for yellow paint and 5 for blue respectively)

Please tell me, how many line items should I create in Sale order? Do I need to specify the brochures as text item? How it should be done? Where should be the qty feed for brochures if it its text item?

Also please tell me, how the system recognise & determines the Brochure material as TANN item category?

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For that scenario you can go for free goods concept. Its suitable to your requirement.

regards,

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaynk86 ,

TANN is determined for Free goods

In Item Category Determination in VOV4

Sales doc +Item category + usage higher levelDefault Item Category

ORNORMFREETANTANN

--As per your example: In a sale order, 3 line items exist. {2 line items are Paints (yellow and blue) and a brochure item}

--I think you have configured the Free goods determination for Exclusive in VBN1

--For Yellow paint item you have mentioned the additional free good as Brochure.

--When you Raise the sale Order you enter the material Yellow which is TAN & default the system gives Brochure with TANN item.similar for the Blue paint also. You have created Exclusive free goods for 2 line items in VBN1

How the system recognize & determines the Brochure material as TANN item category?

--when you enter the higher level item (yellow) in VA01 the system default gives the brochure (TANN) this is because of the item category determination ORNORMFREETANTANN & the record you have maintained in VBN1

Let me know if your problem is solved

Regards

Pradeep