Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Data model

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement to maintain location master data

Earlier the client wanted to maintain a hierarchy for Continent-Country-Sub division and County field along with its non work days

However as hierarchy allows you to select the leaf node , they dont want the hierarchy now.

SO we decide to give them four look up flats in relation to each other.

However for non work days we need to maintain a tuple within a look up table.

is this feasible ? I see it has performance issues?

Any views on this?

Also want to know any recomendations for no of fields to be included

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

You can go for lookup Main and then create a tuple relating it to that.

This way you can have the relation maintained.

For better understanding please give a example of record.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Basically I have two main tables as Locations and Cities . In City main table there are four fields like Continent, Country, Subdivision and County. These four attributes have properties like Code, Name, ID along with their non work days .

For Eg

Continent=AA, Asia

Country=IN ,INdia ,list of holidays along with dates, Working days+other attributes

Subdivision=MH, ABC, List of holidays+other attributes

County=Bom, Mumbai, list of holidays +other attributes

Here list of holidays will be a tuple

When I select the Continent, Country, Subdivision and County portal will have a logic to get the holiday list at each level and cascade it together at City main table to show City Non work days in a tuple.

Initially we had proposed hierarchy model along with tuple to client but client said no to it as you to select the leaf node there

So we thought of having four look up tables with tuples in it.But not sure if its good data model t work with. Also have to do change tracking on 40 fields so will it affect the MDM performance

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards

Nisha

Edited by: Nisha L on Nov 24, 2011 9:56 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

The design seems to be just right to me.

So to confirm,these 4 fields are lookups and share values in a Tuple,right.It looks a fair design to me.

Do one thing,ask the client a data of past 3-5 years for which various data have changed,get a report.

Basing your logic on that you choose those actions for those 40 fields,I mean tracking actions such as ADD/DELETE/MODIFY,very rarely all these are valid for all entries.

Take care of other optimization methods to make MDS less loaded.SAP note 1012745 can help you in that,also SAP note 1479824 and 1503287 can also help.

Needless to say,reset the change tracker before moving live.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Ravi