cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS evaluation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently evaluating the purchase of TDMS product. The main drivers are :

1. Speed up the QA system refresh process. Currently it takes 10 days (Tape restore filesystems, database steps, BDLS, post refresh activites) our database size is close to 10TB. We have requirement to refresh our QA system once in a quarter to build test data. The QA systems are down for the 10 period during the refresh

2. Reduce the storage space in QA systems. We do not want to copy the entire tranasction data . reduce the cost of storage

3. Create multiple test env as and when required

4. Our is 24/7 operation and with very limited maintennance windows. We do not want to impact production system performance.

Can you please provide you valuable feedback whether TDMS can meet my expectations. I read that TDMS will extract subset of data from production system through RFC. Will this process will have any performance impact on production system.

If I want to do a system refresh second time can TDMS perform delta refresh from that point or do I need to set-up the QA system from scratch.

Thanks for your feedback,

Subbu Pithani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member65049
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

TDMS can be used on the same prod and QA server. But if you use the prod system as the central/control system also for TDMS run, the hardware has to be really good in order to avoid performance issues.

For details on the hardware and other settings for TDMS, you can refer to the note 890797, which talks about the required and recommended hardware setting.

Thanks,

Rupam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys for your valuable feedback on TDMS. It's really helpful in our evaluation.

I have few clarifications:

1. Can I load the latest data on top of the existing QA system which has been set-up using TDMS or do I need to do from scratch.

2. Are there any know performance issues with TDMS product??

3. Will there be any option in TDMS to etxract data out of Z objects to load on to QA system.

Thanks,

Subbu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. Can I load the latest data on top of the existing QA system which has been set-up using TDMS or do I need to do from scratch.

The usual start for a new system is a so called "system shell" which is basically a manipulated R3load export from the system you will later load the data from.

You can use your current QA but TDMS will create delete programs and deletes the client; dependin on the size of the system this can take longer than setting up a system shell.

> 2. Are there any know performance issues with TDMS product??

As with all tools who read and write mass data - don't expect to do such a new QA system in a hour. The more data you read (the more way back your 'from'-date in the TDMS package is being selected), the longer it takes. For TDMS itself there are quite a few notes concerning performance (check notes in component CA-TDM and XX-PROJ-DMS)

> 3. Will there be any option in TDMS to etxract data out of Z objects to load on to QA system.

By default Z-tables are copied completely but you can change that behaviour.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus.

Does TDMS onit self has any specific infrsturcture requirments. Does it required standalone server or can it be run on same server prod and QA.

Thansk,

Subbu

0 Kudos

You can install TDMS Add-on on any of your SAP systems and use as your control system, always better if you can use your soluman system as controller system, apart from this you need to install TDMS add-on onto your sender and receiver systems also.

Thanks,

Ramesh Annam

0 Kudos

Subbu,

We are using TDMS since long time, all aspects of system refresh can be covered through this tool.

We can drive this mainly following reasons.

1)Storage

2)BDLS time reduction

3) interfaces will not be touched so less work for Basis

4)Scrambling sensitive data at same time

Thanks,

Ramesh Annam

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add:

whether you will reduce the necessary storage depends on how much data you plan to transfer. If you have (as example) two years of data in your system and you select to transfer one year then you may (only) reduce the system to half of the size plus the fact, that all the data needs to be read in the production system.

For this case we installed a separate application server that is not in the logon group and hence exclusively available for TDMS. However, the load on the database will of course increase during the time you load the data.

Markus

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, with TDMS you can copy your transaction data from production system to quality system based on different scenario like Time based reduction, Company code based data copy, scrambling of HR data etc. As a result you can save a lot of space on your QA system as you don't copy entire database. Only prerequisite for it is work bench should be same on source and target system.

Also, you can reduce downtime as well as most of the phases run online only. Only during data transfer phase, your QA system will not be available to users. Data will be transfer through RFC only,so, during data transfer phase there will be additional load on the system but that you can schedule during night.

Initially you need to do 2-3 TDMS run in order to optimize data transfer.

Thanks

Sunny