cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A profile iniSID.sap for each type of Backup (SAP)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i have the following doubt, i need an iniSID.sap for each tipe of backup in the DB13' s SAP transaction (online, offline), and then in the transaction DB13, select the profile iniSID.sap that corresponds to the tipe of backup

i'm very confused with this, because i have only one profile iniSID.sap and i daily make a backup online + redo log by the DB13 and this is correctly made according the DB14, but i was checking the profile parameters and i can see this:

backup_type = offline_force

thank you for your help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have the following doubt, i need an iniSID.sap for each tipe of backup in the DB13' s SAP transaction (online, offline), and then in the transaction DB13, select the profile iniSID.sap that corresponds to the tipe of backup

Using tcode db13 you can take online as well as offline backup by simply maintaining only single entry of backup_type in initSID.sap parameter. I do not feel the need to have 2 different initSID.sap files.

Even though if you maintain 2 initSID.sap files SAP system will recognise only 1 file. Other one will not be used .

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Even though if you maintain 2 initSID.sap files SAP system will recognise only 1 file. Other one will not be used .

Hey Deepak,

Just to share, SAP recognizes another file if we explicitly 'choose' it in DB13 while scheduling the backup.

However, this is just for our own convenience how we want, there is no 'need' to keep and maintain multiple .sap profiles.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the sake of convenience, you can create and keep two separate initSID.sap profiles.

Like initSID.sap for regular online backup and iniSID_offline.sap for offline backup, both the files in the same directory on the server but with 'different' parameter value for 'backup_type'. Accordingly you can choose the profiles in DB13 whenever, for example, if you want to execute an offline backup before a critical change.

One file you keep for regular online backup. And don't schedule the backup manually daily from DB13. Schedule it once in DB13 for all the week/days so that it gets executed daily at a specified time.

However, no matter what value you have kept in profile for the parameter 'backup_type' at file level, when you schedule the backup via DB13 and choose something like 'online backup' then SAP will execute and 'online' backup irrespective of the value of 'backup_type' at file level.

Just to avoid confusion and for convenience/adhoc backups you may keep two xxxxxx.sap files.

Thanks