Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help choose correct SNP planning engine

ganesh_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have the following scenario wherein we need to propose which SNP planning engine we need to use for planning with the following condition:

1. Finite Capacity availability (with alerts showing overload)

2. Existing stocks

3. Maximum possible volume of sub-components available duirng the year for each month.

Please advice / suggest on the way forward. If you need more information on understanding the scenario please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

ganesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

as mentioned above, there are three engines available and choice depends on experience.

Using SNP heuristic + capacity levelling is similar to R/3 MRP and capacity levelling.

Using CTM needs mentioning lot of contraints and stablilizing the engine.

Optimizer is not as complex as CTM, u need to optimize ur production considering capacity availability.

choosing a enginee depends on what kind of results expected and how it should be configured to business requirment.

Thanks,

Regrads,,

Sandeep Kumar.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ganesh

Your question is not clear. What do you mean by

-

1. Finite Capacity availability (with alerts showing overload)

2. Existing stocks

3. Maximum possible volume of sub-components available duirng the year for each month.

-

All three methods (Heuristics, CTM and SNP Optimizer) can create a finite capacity plan.

CTM comes up with a feasible (but not necessarily optimal) plan considering resource and material constraints. SNP optimizer comes up with a 'optimal' plan also considering resource and material constraints.

Heuristics may initially come up with an infeasible (overloaded) plan, but you can seperately run capacity levelling to level load the plan. Note that since capacity levelling is per BOM level with no depedencies considered across levels, so this can be difficult to use if you want true finite capacity planning.

All three methods net existing stocks.

This is a very complex decision - not something that can be answered in a forum as this. I suggest you get an experienced consultant to provide you with the options and pros and cons of each method.

Rishi Menon