cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on SAP/cloud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Will be doing proof-of-concept on SAP on cloud, installing ERP and seeking advice/feedback.

Based on the criteria of easier installation and faster delivery (and of course success story), what will be the recommended combination of platform (LINUX, Windows) and database (Oracle, MS SQL, MAXDB, DB2).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Terry

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Terry,

Have a look into the link below for SAP on cloud.

http://blogs.sap.com/cloud/2011/11/17/sap%E2%80%99s-cloud-approach-%E2%80%93-supporting-hybrid-lands...

It has some useful information which can help you.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I more after on specifics - from those who had done this.

Thanks,

Terry

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Based on the criteria of easier installation and faster delivery (and of course success story), what will be the recommended combination of platform (LINUX, Windows) and database (Oracle, MS SQL, MAXDB, DB2).

Currently we are doing 1 POC with following environment. We have our DB/CI on AIX and application server on Windows cloud. Database is Oracle.

From my perspective I would propose following combination in case you going with fresh SAP setup on cloud.

Database: MSSQL

Advantage here is easier maintenance and Less administration cost.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have been a part of two landscapes, one was AIX/DB2 and other ones was Win/MSSQL

Can't compare, both have been good except the basic difference between windows and unix environment - not specific to cloud/vmware.

However, on Windows, the problem we have been fighting with is 'ballooning'. Try to search for this in google, you will get an idea.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

However, on Windows, the problem we have been fighting with is 'ballooning'.

When you follow SAP Note 1056052, there is no ballooning. Please note that ballooning is always a problem of short hardware resources.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thank you all for your feedback/comment. Tried installing all the combinations of platform (LINUX, Windows) and database (Oracle, MS/SQL, MAXDB).

Regards,

Terry

Former Member
0 Kudos

The ballooning should have nothing to do with the OS or the SAP Software, and everything to do with a constraint of resources, or a mis-configured resource pool etc.

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

There are lots of documents in SDN and other forums which will give much better idea ... but these are my observation

Installation - Once you have gone past the access process to the cloud environment, after that you can hardly differentiate whether you are on doing a install on cloud or non-cloud. Though definately the time to get the infrastructure for install is much faster.

Windows or Linux - I would put it as windows or Unix, not sure how many providers offer other flavors of Unix apart from Linux. But obviously the Product itself to some extent will govern what you choose, as has been the case in non-cloud env.

Database - Again have seen Oracle and DB2 being mostly used. Not sure why, may be stuff like doing system refresh in 15 min , etc are easier to achieve with products like Oracle and DB2.

Regards,

Neel

I dont have any exposure to windows on cloud. So i am not aware of specific positives it might have in cloud.

Edited by: Neelabha Banerjee on Nov 22, 2011 3:40 PM