Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple hierarchy versions in analysis authorizations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question concerning the version of a hierarchy used in analysis authorizations. We use the characteristic company which has a hierarchy and is relevant for authorization check. The hierarchy has various versions, e.g. one valid from 01/2000 to 12/2010 and one valid from 01/2011 to 12/9999. In analysis authorizations I want to authorize one node (X123) of the company hierarchy. I have to select one version of the hierarchy (I'll take the newest one valid until 12/9999).

Now I have an authorization problem in reporting if I start a query for data of 2010 because there were companies in node X123 which aren't there any more in 2011.

I think if I enter option 0 in field validity period it always uses the oldest possible hierarchy version but I want it to use the hierarchy version which refers exactly to the selection variables without entering them all in authorization role. We have a new hierarchy version each closing and I don't want to update all analysis authorization rules each time.

Is there any possibility to authorize a node for all versions of one hierarchy and use variables of selection screen to select the right version at runtime?

Best regards,

Sabine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as my knowledge goes, there is no standard way of doing this. One way of doing it by writing a user exit and query exit variable.

The query exit variable can populate all the existing company code hierarchy version at the runtime for an user to select. Once the version is passed through the query, an user exit variable should be dynamically populate all the corresponding Hierarchy Node for that version.

The Other way can be to use a root Hierarchy Node which should be valid for for unlimited time period. Within that different version of Hierarchy Sub Nodes can be created. As you stated that you have new hierarchy versions in every closing. So all expired versions and new hierarchy versions should be creates as Sub Nodes within the root Hierarchy Node. Now if you create analysis auth providing access to Root Hierarchy Node, then there is no need to changing these values in future as and when new hierarchy nodes version comes into picture.

Now use the query exit to select/pass the Hierarchy version you want to report, and system should be able check whether you have access to that Hierarchy version or not....which you will have through the top hierarchy node.

Thanks,

Deb

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as my knowledge goes, there is no standard way of doing this. One way of doing it by writing a user exit and query exit variable.

The query exit variable can populate all the existing company code hierarchy version at the runtime for an user to select. Once the version is passed through the query, an user exit variable should be dynamically populate all the corresponding Hierarchy Node for that version.

The Other way can be to use a root Hierarchy Node which should be valid for for unlimited time period. Within that different version of Hierarchy Sub Nodes can be created. As you stated that you have new hierarchy versions in every closing. So all expired versions and new hierarchy versions should be creates as Sub Nodes within the root Hierarchy Node. Now if you create analysis auth providing access to Root Hierarchy Node, then there is no need to changing these values in future as and when new hierarchy nodes version comes into picture.

Now use the query exit to select/pass the Hierarchy version you want to report, and system should be able check whether you have access to that Hierarchy version or not....which you will have through the top hierarchy node.

Thanks,

Deb

0 Kudos

Hi Deb,

I'd prefer to use hierarchies with a time-dependent structure instead of entire time-dependent hierarchies but our BW ist in use for about 5 years and there are so many hierarchy versions that I don't dare to change hierarchy properties.

Our company hierarchy uses external characteristic consolidation group company which is also authorization relevant. The hierarchy of consolidation group company doesn't change very often (only once until today) and I've found out that it's better to use this object if I want to authorize a node in company hierarchy the way we need it. If I select the hierarchy node for characteristic company I also limit to the companies which are below this node in the selected version. If I select the same node for consolidation group company the companies are being deducted depending on the data records in BW. This is exactly want I want: all companies which belong to a certain consolidation group in the selected time period shall be authorized.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Sabine