cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOBJ 4.0 Universe Design from Multiple datasources.

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

We are trying to implement BOBJ 4.0 and since it can use multiple datasources to build one universe therefore I have a question on universe designer.

If we use multiple data sources such as Oracle 10g, SQL DB2 or even flat file to develop one universe, what kind of problems can I face in terms of joining the tables and fields from one source to another, loops resolution and traps etc. Can you please advise me all possible problems that I can face by using multiple source system to develop one universe for my reporting needs.

I can understand that we can use this concept in 3x in data federator but since I have not worked in data federator therefore cant really speak on this and I am sure it will be different experience and problems as far as universe design on BOBJ 4 is concerned.

I would appreciate if you can also direct me to any link or document for better understanding.

Regards

Edited by: SAP_LCCHS on Nov 21, 2011 4:01 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

somewhat answered

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Actually, what you're asking for "please advise me all possible problems that I can face" .. is unrealistic..

Yes, you are going to have to resolve join syntax, and how you approach this will have an impact on performance. Some operators, as always, can be costly to runtimes:

u2022 join

u2022 cartesian product

u2022 orderby

u2022 groupby

u2022 groupby

I'd recommend you have a look at the user guides for Data Federator XI3.x - many of the concepts are the same. Especially useful is information on how to use the Data Federator Administrator Tool to tune and optimize queries. For example: http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexi3SP3/en/xi3_sp3_df_userguide_en.pdf

Regards,

H