Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

We are at SAP EHP-1

DBCI is on AIX and All App servers are on Linux

Recently we upgraded the kernel to patch level 150 , what ever the earlier patch level is.....

Now We have one QA APP server with 4 instance

when we upgraded with 150 patch level in the path /usr/sap/ECQ/SID/exe and when we check disp+work it shows 150 in all 4 instances but when we started the server and checked at status it shows only 32 the old patch level.

And if we upgrade kernel at /sapmnt/ECQ/exe and start SAP we could see nothing in SM51

Thanks,

Reddy.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Please check the new kernel has been copied in the right kernel path and it is sync with other application server which will be taken care by sapcpe. I hope /sapmnt/<sid>/exe is shared among all application server. Also check the path /usr/sap/<SID>/<InstanceDirectoyr>/exe which will have latest kernel files. I hope by this time problem should have bee n resolved.

As long as right kernel file has been downloaded properly from SMP and copied in the right kernel directory I dont see any problem in kernel upgrade. Hence this thread may be closed.

Regards,

Rajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

pls check in every application server, in RZ11, the parameters DIR_EXECUTABLE and DIR_CT_RUN,

if you change the kernel in all the resulting directories it should be updated.

DIR_EXECUTABLE = place where the application server executes the binaries.

DIR_CT_RUN = place where sapcpe syncronization program goes to search for the binaries and then copies them to DIR_EXECUTABLE.

best regards,

Ricardo Caramona

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would assume, you did patch the wrong directory.

Check the parameter DIR_CT_RUN in you SAP profiles.

This is the directory you need to patch.

The other directories (instance-exe) will be updated by sapcpe upon instance startup..

Check if sapcpe is configured in the the SAP profiles as well.

Volker

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Update the kernel in the /sapmnt/ECQ/exe. This directory /usr/sap/ECQ/SYS/exe/run has a softlink to /sapmnt/ECQ/exe.

Check if the link works .

cd /usr/sap/ECQ/SYS/exe/run , then pwd , the output should be /sapmnt/ECQ/exe. if not there is a problem in softlink.

Now check in instance start profile , if executables are copied from /usr/sap/ECQ/SYS/exe/run to /usr/sap/ECQ/D*/exe using sapce during startup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

These files are copied by sapcpe mechanism at the startup. Check the document, below;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4f/37782a21fc11d288cd0000e83539c3/content.htm

Best Regards,

Orkun Gedik