cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Testing of Scenarios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We are busy with the implementation of solution manager 7.0 EhP1. The we have a 2 tier landscape for solution manager. We have setup the system administration, system monitoring, CDMC, BPM, Solution Documentation, Test management, Transactional and Data consistancy, DVM, Job scheduling, incident management and charm. For test management we are using HP QC and syncing the results back to solman and for job scheduling we are using CPS. All the scenarios have been setup already with the exception of incident management and charm as we are intergration the incident management with remedy using webservices. I would like to know what are the risks of doing testing for all the scenarios above in our solman prd system?

San

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

You don't do testing in your production system. You do it in a test system.

You should have a test environment to perform testing.

Ideally you want a three teir system, Dev, QAS, PRD

Then these changes can be made in DEV transported to your QAS system, and then once the changes have gone through your quality assurance process, they would be transported to production system.

Optionally at least one test system where changes can be validated before implementing inthe production enviroment.

If you test in your production system, you can compromise the production environment.

The impact can vary depending on the changes made.

Of course an excellent backup strategy would be recommended if you are going to attempt this plan.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul

Yes i do understand that when it comes to normal SAP business suite products that one does config or changes in dev and transports to qa and then prd. My question is purely related to solution manager and the tools that I meantioned above. So to rephrase my question. Is a test environment really needed in order to test the standard scenarios in solution manager? I am not concerned about any other business suite product. They are all systems connected to solution manager. In other words satellite or managed systems. For the monitoring scenarios all solman will do is request data. Its really only for charm that data will change but those sort of changes will be on the actual satellite systems and the transports will be managed by solution manager. So to repeat my question what risks will we have to consider if we want to do our testing for the solution manager scenarios in our solution manager PRD system?

Santosh

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Santosh,

The risks are that you can implement a change or configuration that prevents a function(s)/Scenarios from working or from working properly. And if these happen to affect scenarios/functiosn that you are using, relying on, then you expose yourself

to risk.

This is not a topology that SAP recommends. As you are aware it is DEV > QAS > PRD alterantely when not possible

a DEV > PRD. But to just have one system in a production role, the system can be impacted in many different ways if something is done wrong.

However if you take a full backup before you implement any changes, and have a way to revert any changes, then you can

mitigate any risk.

Of course the risks can't be named because this is a hypothetical situation, and we don't know what changes would be contemplated, as depending onthe change attempted and if it is not successful for various reasons, what the risk would be.

But you may not be able to get your maintenance certificates, or Engage Service Deilvery, or any number of functionaliity

Solution Manager offers, if you make a change that goes bad.

If the Solution Manager system has a production role in your landscape, it should be treated as any other production

system in your landscape.

I have a TEST sysstem that all I use is a backup, and if I make a change that goes bad, I restore. But this is not a production system, and a production system should not be treated as a test system.

You can of course change a production system directly. Because you can does not mean you should.

The risk to changing the production system, means you may implement changes that don't work or have undesireable effects.

And the only out you would have is to restore from backup. But if you have production data, you risk losing some, unless

you down the production system, backit up, make the change, completely test it and once the change has been tested and is okay, make the system available again, because if you make it available during the change/testing it, if you need to restore, you may lose production data.

If the role is Production, then the system should be treated as any other production system.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Totally agree with Paul.

Just another perspective, if you have truly integrated processes for example an error in BPM creates an incident in your service desk system then you should expect test information filtrating your productive information. This can cause significant issues to your productive operational processes.

Regards,

Rich Labib

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solved