cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Storage putaway strategy question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some question on BUlK storage putway strategy, when I read through the IMG and hope you can provide a clue.

Block Transfers into a Row

There is one indicator on the Bulk Storage setup called u201CBlock Transfers into a Rowu201Dindicator that said

Means that a block unit (row in bulk storage) is blocked for further stock placements after the first stock removal has taken place. In this way, you can prevent a storage unit from being kept in the warehouse for an excessive number of days due to continuous stock placements.

Question:

What is the business rational behind this? Why stock removal take place, ongoing stock placement into this SU row is blocked? I am sure warehouse is still allow to place stock into this row what stop it?

Time Limit for Blocking.

Sap help potal said: u201CIn the bulk storage area, the date of the first putaway in the row is used as the goods receipt date of all subsequent putaways to this row. Therefore, it is a good idea to stop further putaways to the row after a certain number of days so that the FIFO principle is not violatedu201D

Question:

I donu2019t understand the FIFO principle part with relation to above statement. What does it means.

It would be good with an example.

Thanks

Tuff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

both flags relate to the violation of FIFO (resp. to try to avoid a violation).

What does Bulk Storage mean? You build a bulk from pallets of the materials you receive, that means you stack them and have them standing in a row.

Now when you remove something from the bulk, eg. the first stack, then you can putaway pallets into this row again - but you can't reach the other pallets anymore. In order to avoid that, you can set the flag to set a putaway block after first removal.

The second flag is for a case when a FIFO violation is ok if it only is two or three days (for example). You receive every day a certain number of pallets from your production. Now it is ok to build a bulk for lets say three days. Because when you pick it does not matter if the material is from day 1, 2, or 3. but the material from day 4 you put in a new block - because when picking you want to remove the materials from the first three days first; only then material from day 4 and later shall be used.

Makes sense?

Best regards

Juergen

Answers (0)