cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.3 Installation Dual Stack Vs Java only (AFX)

former_member280167
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello there,

I am at a client who is doing a new implementation of SAP products..and PI is one of them...I was reading more about PI 7.3 where I have options for Java only System Advanced Adapter Engine Extended or go with traditional PI Dual stack installation....and I have looked at few presentations, where there are some limitation even with iDOCs...lots of company uses IDOCs message to transfer data between 2 systems...and Runtime Workbenh(RWB) also missing...does any one has experiences just installing AFX only? could you please share you thoughts and draw backs that AFX may have? I also show a presentation that SAP is moving towards Java only PI systems...I wanted to make sure that I am installing and configuring the right systems...didn't want to install java only...then get complains from customer saying...we don't have this and that and etc....

Please share you thoughts...

Thanks,

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

SAP planning ramp up SAP PI 7.3 EHP1 from this month and from this release onwards there is no dual stack option available only JAVA Stack PI. so in future also SAP going to invest on single stack only.

Whatever the features you have in dual stack all can be achieved in JAVA Stack and all standards adapters available, proxy communication, IDoc integration available.

CcBPM scenarios you have to develop using SAP BPM, now SAP changed licensing model, SAP BPM/BRM part of SAP PI 7.3EHP1.

If your customer has any plan to move PI 7.3 then recommend PI 7.3 EP1 And JAVA Stack installation.

Regards,

Raj

former_member280167
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

This is a very new implementation....so it is up to me whether to install PI 7.3 ABAP+Java or Java only without BPM Adapter, but Functional team has no idea what they want....currently the SAP SNC 7.01/SCM/ERP is what is driving the PI, so not sure if that use the BPM Adapter or not.

so I am very confused, and at this moment I have decided to install the dual stack, and deal with Java only stack later in the future.

Any advice or thoughts? where customer will struggle if they just install the Java?

Thanks,

Kumar

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No No.. my advice is go for single stack version... better to talk with SAP.

what do u mean by BPM Adapter?

Regards,

Raj

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can install dual stack and decide the design based on the requirement. Ofcourse integrated scenario or local processing using AAE is good in performance than classical processing (Integration Engine).

AAE has some drawbacks like abap mapping, message split , BPM etc. so if your adapters are java based then use the AAE alone and improve the performance. If your interfaces are many based on BPM, then for the time being go for as is.. I mean those interfaces in classical processing (IE engine). Again monitoring is not completely available in Java stack message processing. But still you can configure to do viewing payload and so . But almost all the adapters are possible in Java stack.

That is my two cents.

former_member280167
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks Baskar.

At what scenario company uses BPM Adapter?

It does not sounds like Java only system is good choice at this point. Also looking at the SAPinst, the AFX is not even part of standard SAP Systems section area...they put it under the Optional Standalone units, this does not gives me a good confident on installing just AFX.

allamudi_loordh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

There are some advantages in AEX alone in sap pi7.3 --

imporved performance

loose coupling

pub/sub services

high availabilty

dynamic routing(content based)

message blacklisting

lower TCO

faster installation and restart.

some limitations

no abap mapping.

no parameterised mapping

no ccbpm

only integrated cofiguration available(some time dynamiccongurations missing)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> At what scenario company uses BPM Adapter?

CCBPM will be used for many features such as correlation between messages, stateful messaging, automate the process, multimapping and so. Multimapping without BPM is possible now.

Using java stack, performance can be improved many folds, all major adapters are available in java stack, SFTP adapter will be possible soon.