cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore prd database on crashed dev server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

recently my development server got curropted during patch deployment.

based on SAP oss reply we tried to restore (PIT / DB reset), unfortunately all of my backups from tape library are not working.

Thus lost development server. file system got half overwritten by backup management software.

this made to loose development server forever.

is there any possibility to copy PRD oracle data files and generate control files and then start my DEV instance.

request you to guide me in this condition.

by

Harika

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

Using PRD serveru2019s backup you can perform the homogeneous system copy (Backup/Restore).

Before going to perform the restore generate the control file using orabrcopy method.

Make sure redo log groups are archived.

sqlplus /nolog

connect / as sysdba

alter system switch logfile - Run this 4 times (once for each redo log file)

I hope it will help you.

Regards,

Kiran .V

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> alter system switch logfile - Run this 4 times (once for each redo log file)

Hi,

since I am reading this again, and I always asked myself if I missed something in my oracle training...

Can anyone explain why SAP requires this?

When using an offline backup with brbackup, brbackup shuts down the DB itself.

It will be a shutdown normal or a shutdown immediate when using the force option.

This means the DB is beinig brought down with a checkpoint thus there is no need to access

online redologs for instance crash recovery upon restart, even with a "resetlogs created" controlfile.

So what data will be written to the datafiles when doing "cleanup" logswitches, that is not

in the database in a "normal" offline backup?

I understand, that you can not use a backup from a "shutdown aborted" DB,

as one will not be able to do a crashrecovery in this case. (rethinking that, it might work when doing a

real "recover" from the online logs of the source...).

But anyway, brbackup will not do such a backup. Even if you do an offline backup of a DB that is down,

brbackup will start it up and do a shutdown of its own before it starts saving.

Is this section stil in the guide because somebody did put it there because of good will

(or may be version 7.x requirements) and nobody dared to get it out again?

Thoughts welcome

Volker

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

is there any possibility to copy PRD oracle data files and generate control files and then start my DEV instance.

In case you have a proper backup of Production you can rebuild your development environment from the same. Use the system copy procedure mentioned in the link shared by Orkun.

Then recreate the controlfiles for development environment. Re-configure the transport route if it was present before.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>> Is there any possibility to copy PRD oracle data files and generate control files and then start my DEV instance.

Yes, sure you can restore the DEV system by using homogeneous system copy method. Read the document carefully and apply the step in the document, below;

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000416392008E.pdf

I assume that you have Netweaver 2004s stack, but you can find the suitable document by your needs in the link below;

https://service.sap.com/systemcopy

As an additional information, you may import the exported transport requests into the DEV system after the system copy. So, you may save your works on the development site.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik