cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Quality Center Upgrade to Patch level 25

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi @ all,

i did not find any better forum to post my questions... So i hope someone here can help me!

We are using the HP Quality Center with support from SAP.

We have Version 10.00 Patchlevel 19 installed.

Our Server is using

Windows 2003 as Operating system

and as DB we use SQL Server 2005 mit SP3.

Now we want to do an upgrade to Patchlevel 25 so that we can use

Windows 2008 R2 64 bit as operating system

and as DB SQL Server 2008 SP2.

This is our first upgrade on HPQC so I am searching for informations about how this will work!

Has anybody here experiences with this matter?

Thx in advanc and greetings

Ulrich Sahm

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ulrich,

So what is your question- are you asking about migrating QC to another server or upgrading to patch 25? Patch upgrade is pretty straight forward- download the relevant package from HP support site and then extract it to the base directory. Afterwards follow on screen prompts. Make sure you restart all QC services once completed.

Thanks,

Harmeet Sandhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmeet,

thanks for your answer. We would like to do following:

- we are now using a DB on SQL Server 2005 with HP QC Version 10.0 Patch 19

- we want to move to a DB on SQL Server 2008 SP2

- therefore it is necessary to upgrade to patch 25

So my question now is the order we have to do this. I would suppose the following order:

1. backup the existing databases (site admin & projects)

2. copy the repository folders of the projects

3. setup Windows 2008 R2 64 bit and SQL Server 2008 SP2 on existing server

4. restore the DB's on SQL Server 2008 SP2

5. install patch 25

Another possibility, that came up late was follwing: We Upgrade to HPQC 11 Patch 6. In thsi case i would suppose the following order:

1. backup the existing databases (site admin & projects)

2. copy the repository folders of the projects

3. setup Windows 2008 R2 64 bit and SQL Server 2008 SP2 on existing

servers

4. restore the DB on SQL Server 2008 SP2

5. uninstall HP QC version 10

6. install patch 6 of QC version 11.0 and assign the restored site

admin db during installation

7. do a mass upgrade to the project DB`s

Do you think we missed something or can we do it like this?

Thanks

Ulrich

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ulrich,

The order of activities look good to me for both options. Ofocurse, I believe you intend to do his first on a sandbox to see if ti works? There is also an upgrade simulator that will tell you in detailed log if you are going to hit any issues. Ask your HP support guy for that. There are several major differences between version 11 and 10 of HP Quality Center. I prefer option 1 that you have listed. I would back Up the database and application both, do a windows upgrade and then install patch 25. Once you are done with the patch upgrade then you can think about upgrading to QC 11.

Thanks

Harmeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmeet,

thx for your informations. i willl ask our server-team if we have any free capacities to run the test-upgrade!

I have one last question:

Do you know if we have to change/install something on the client machines?

We are running the HPQC on the server and are just starting it on the clients via Internet Explorer, so i dont expect any updates here. But as our users dont have any permission to install something on the clients we need to know in advance.

The only thing we installed while introduction of HPQC were some activeX controls.

Thank you and best regards

Ulrich

Edited by: Ulrich Sahm on Dec 19, 2011 4:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on what kind of access the client has. I understand it must have read + write on client side. When you update the server, the client will upload automatically the changed files from the server. Normally there are no issues but in some cases, like users on citrix the administrator may have to go and install clients individually.

You can either package the solution and distribute via your software update mechanism or you can send them the client side installation in a zip format. It is up to you whichever way is convenient however since the packaged version has been tested (supposedly) and it requires less user interaction I prefer it.

Thanks

Harmeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmeet,

we also prefere the packaged version, and it is exactly as we did. The question if we have to do an update on the package or if we can use the same package for patchlevel 25 as for patchlevel 19?

Thanks

Ulrich

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ulrich,

No the older package will not work. You will have to re-package the installer with SP 25 files.

Thanks

Answers (0)