cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared memory object in WD4A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Basically I have search around but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for as I have a requirement or more like a functionality in my application to make a comparison on which is the latest file created in the shared memory, as the later file will then indicate to user that the file is ready to be downloaded comparing to the previous file that has been created.

Would be great if anyone can guide on how to go about this as I'm not so familiar with shared memory and I'm not sure if this can be achieved? as I'm thinking aloud.

Just wondering on what instance that I can use for comparison via shared memory.

Thanks and Regards,

JC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by file in shared memory. Files aren't how you organize data in shared memory. Share Memory classes are normal ABAP classes which live in applciation server memory instead of user session memory. You can call methods of the shared memory objects like any other class. You can call a method to read the data and then update a column in the internal table to record the last access time. Or insert a timestamp with each record insertion so you can judge the age of each record. Really you would have to describe your requirements in more detail.

However nothing discussed here is Web Dynpro ABAP specific. So far what you described is really just a general ABAP discussion. Unless you have some WDA specific aspect you haven't mentioned, we should move this thread to ABAP General forum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, could have been more explicit. Currently, in my web dynpro application, it serves as a placeholder to download a text file from the selection made by users in a report (web dynpro as well). Thus it will pop up a window, for user to select the file that needs to be downloaded.

Basically, once a selection has been made, it will send the list of selection/criteria made by user to be processed in the background job and also store the job in the shared memory using username as instance. However I have a requirement to actually compare which is the latest file and which is not, as I'm automating the refresh using timed trigger to make sure the latest file is indicated to user that it is ready to be downloaded. Come to think about it, can I make the manipulation based on background job, or in the shared memory?

Answers (0)