Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP 5 Installation for ERP 6

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm upgrading from EHP4 on DB2 and AIX.

I see that my existing kernel is on 7.01 patch 150. However, MOPZ recommends me a 702 kernel is that valid ?

Also, my SPAM is on 7.01/43 but MOPZ recommends 70243

Do I need to upgrade the SAP Kernel and SPAM before starting EHP tool ? I am not sure if the SAP system will come up after upgrading the kernel to 7.02 to apply EHP.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I upgraded our SAP ECC6 from EHP4 ready to EHP5 . current version of kernel is 720 sup.pkg lvl 90 DB client.Lib DB6_81

DBSL version 720 DBSL Patch level 089

We are facing following issues

1. System is constantly compiling old transanctions when entered although i've ran sgen selecting all components

2. Kernel giving error (in all dev_w* files)

A PXA

A PXA INITIALIZATION

A PXA: max_map_count = 1000000: ok

A System page size: 4kb, total admin_size: 67160kb, dir_size: 22020kb.

A Attached to PXA (address 7fe44989b000, size 900000K, 3 fragments of 277616K )

A PXA allocated (address 7fe44989b000, size 900000K)

A *** WARNING: INTERNAL_KERNEL_VERSION of message server

A unknown yet.

A abap/pxa = shared protect gen_remote

A PXA: checking structure sizes: 752 264 8

A PXA INITIALIZATION FINISHED

A PXA

I also changed latest kernel but issue is same .

Please Guide me

Regards

Shahid

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I see that my existing kernel is on 7.01 patch 150. However, MOPZ recommends me a 702 kernel is that valid ?

> Also, my SPAM is on 7.01/43 but MOPZ recommends 70243

Yes, it is valid. SAP recommends EhP5 on NW7.02, so is the kernel - 702

Thanks

sivakumar_kilari3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Do I need to upgrade the SAP Kernel and SPAM before starting EHP tool ? I am not sure if the SAP system will come up after upgrading the kernel to 7.02 to apply EHP.

No need to upgrade before , EHPI toll will upgrade all Kernal , SPAM, Support packs,

Thanks

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

EHPi tool should that for you.

However, nowadays you can upgrade the kernel to 7.02 explicitly as well, as it is downward compatible with NW 700/701.

Thanks

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

>

> EHPi tool should that for you.

>

> However, nowadays you can upgrade the kernel to 7.02 explicitly as well, as it is downward compatible with NW 700/701.

>

>

> Thanks

Sorry if this sounds too implicit.. but is there any place I can read about this downward compatibility of 7.02 kernel ?

Also, I suppose I need to use EHP 7.0 installer and not 7.1... Please confirm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, you can do kernel and SPAM update manually. In my case I had to do it, because EHP installer throws an error during SPAM update. Just do a backup of your existing kernel and try to run new one. You can go back to the old version without problems.

I've used EHPi 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The kernel with Netweaver 7.02 is actually a 720 based kernel. However the codeline for this is same as for earlier version of Netweaver like 7.00 and 7.01. Hence the downward compatibility advantage.

Check this SDN article regarding the same:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/906bf32a-a274-2e10-4da1-e61d15558...

And use EHPI 7.0/7.1 - the latest version to avoid bugs.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

but is there any place I can read about this downward compatibility of 7.02 kernel ?

Read:

Also, I suppose I need to use EHP 7.0 installer and not 7.1... Please confirm

Yes. You should be using EHPI 7.0

Regards,

Varun

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

Somehow I had not included the kernel SAR files in the EHPI directory.

I received an error in the Configuration road-map, which talks about R3trans and kernel upgrade.

Somewhat reads... There are dependencies between packages included into the procedure and target release kernel. The tool R3trans needs a build date of 08.08.11 or later. Please retrieve the tools and put the archives in the download directory.

Thereby I tried to stop sap, upgrade the kernel. However, I was unable to start the instance service. I have rolled back to the previous kernel and able to start sap.

tried adding the kernel SAR files to the /EHPI but since the extraction was done in previous road-map, that might not be of any use.

I am looking to know which kernel should I use.. normal kernel or EXT kernel for 7.02 for DB2 9.7. And where should I put those files. There is no put directory (I'm using EHPI), I am confused between /EHPI/EHPI/abap/exe or /EHPI/EHPI/abap/exenew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

I had the same issue long back. I had to extract target R3trans and tp and place it in both .../EHPI/abap/exe and EHPI/abap/exenew. Please make sure the corresponding .ATT and .PAT files exist under ..../EPS/in.

We should not upgrade existing kernel to 7.02 at this point of time.

Please have a look at my blog post for more details. It was 7.01 target kernel in my case.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Edited by: Siva Kumar Arivinti on Nov 19, 2011 2:30 PM

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

yes, it seems its going through...

However, any clue if we had to actually update files in exenew folder only. Should the exe contain old kernel and exenew contain earlier kernel ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

As far as I know, yes. exenew contains target kernel. If you look at SAPehpi logs, you will understand how new kernel is extracted to exenew.

Good luck for rest of upgrade.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

1 more thing... in ACT_UPG phase, I receive errors on activations of three tables... upgrade goes ahead when I select accept non-severe errors... in such case, what is the risk or post - EHP upgrade actions that I must carry out for these three tables ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

Which tables you are referring? If those activation errors are asked to ignore in any note or guide, we can ignore at this phase and have them verify by application teams after upgrade is done.

If not, we have to activate them at this phase to move on.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

In ACTUPG.ELG

DDIC Activation Errors and Return Code in SAPA-702DDINSAPBASIS.DEV
1EED0519X "TABLE" "PTRV_UTIL_VPFPS_VPFPA_P" could not be activated.
1EED0519 "VIEW" "V_T706S_EHP" could not be activated
1EED0519 "TABLE" "T706S" could not be activated
1 ETP111 exit code      : "8"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jay,

I don't find any note talking about these tables can be ignored in ACT_UPG. So please active them and move on.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Would suggest you to perform a check on these tables/view via SE11.

Also it could be possible that the upgrade could get stuck on some of the later phases due to this errors.

So it is better to check the tables and refer to any SAP Notes for these.

Regards,

Srikishan

jay_b2
Participant
0 Kudos

Upgrade was through and it did not encounter any other error for these tables. I have however raised a message for assistance on those errors.

Thanks Siva