Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Portal On Device] iPhone support for WDA

guillaume-hrc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I read this very interesting [article|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/105a7704-36ec-2e10-9abe-fd230e673fb2?QuickLink=index&overridelayout=true|Portal Mobile Foundation article from SDN] about Portal On Device (not sure if this is different from Portal Mobile Foundation).

On slide 15, one can read :

Mobile Devices

- Portal on device runs on iPhone with iOS5.

- Portal on device can also be consumed by iPad with iOS5

As I have been searching for solutions about Safari support on iPhone, I could but only noticed that on slide 7 of this article, it was [stated|http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6102/6357301143_04beea7579_z.jpg]:

A legacy application (Web Dynpro ABAP, HTMLB, BSP, PRT) ... can be accessed by mobile devices using portal on device, which provides zooming capabilities to enable consuming the legacy screens in a convenient manner.

This is the first time I saw that sort of statement and I was wondering whether I understood it well... or not.

On the same 15th slide, there are tags to add to the response so as to add 'HTML5 support'.

My understanding is that you can leverage legacy applications using minimal effort (?!).

Could you please, guys, clarify this point as I am eager to know the whole truth?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Guillaume

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TomVanDoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To my exerience, both BSP and Webdynpro ABAP render perfectly on Android and iPhone browsers.

Although they may appear a bit small.

None-the-less, zooming works perfectly and all components react like they should.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Even if they render correctly or not, Web Dynpro ABAP is not currently supported on such devices. Refer to the Platform Availability Matrix ( http://service.sap.com/pam ) for offically supported platforms. That would mean if they render correctly, great. If you do hit a problem, you can't expect a fix from SAP. As of 7.02, WDA does support Safari on MacOS. This generally means that it renders well on iOS and in other Web Kit based browsers. However there are UI elements that don't work correctly on mobile devices - InteractiveForms, FlashIslands, JNet Graphics - basically anything that uses the ACF framework or an external technology. Also applications which are designed to use drag and drop or right mouse click context menus can be very difficult to use regardless of if they render techincally correct.

guillaume-hrc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

If you do hit a problem, you can't expect a fix from SAP. As of 7.02, WDA does support Safari on MacOS.

If I access WDA from Portal On Device with Safari on iPhone/iPad, will it be supported by SAP?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Guillaume

Edited by: Guillaume Garcia on Nov 18, 2011 3:38 PM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

>

>

> If you do hit a problem, you can't expect a fix from SAP. As of 7.02, WDA does support Safari on MacOS.

>

> If I access WDA from Portal On Device with Safari on iPhone/iPad, will it be supported by SAP?

> Thanks in advance.

>

> Best regards,

> Guillaume

>

> Edited by: Guillaume Garcia on Nov 18, 2011 3:38 PM

No. And frankly I was a little suprised to see that listed in the in Portal On Device document without mention of that fact. Portal On Device might be supported but as stated in that document it doesn't change the rendering of the inner content for BSP and WDA. You therefore would have to follow the PAM of those technologies. My opinion: you have NetWeaver Portal colleagues making statements without understanding the implications to the underlying UI technologies of WDA and BSP.

guillaume-hrc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your outspokeness!!!!

I wish I could allow more than 10 points.

I guess we will have to wait for HTML5-rendering then.

Best regards,

Guillaume

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guillaume,

Even if it did render properly, it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway. If you want the users to use your apps, you'll have to create mobile apps. A standard portal app is NOT a mobile app.

Cheers,

Pierre

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as i understood in Teched2011 in Madrid, this is true. Portal on device would support new web applications based on html5, as is contents like iViews based on WebDynpro ,BSP,HTML-B and Portal applications.

guillaume-hrc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

As far as i understood in Teched2011 in Madrid, this is true. Portal on device would support new web applications based on html5, as is contents like iViews based on WebDynpro ,BSP,HTML-B and Portal applications.

To my knowledge, the content of legacy WDA, BSP, ... applications is not rendered in HTML5 today, right?

Thus, it is kind of blurry whether my good old BSP on a 4.7 Enterprise backend system is going to be rendered properly in Safari iPad or not, if it is embedded in my brand new 7.3 Portal with Portal On Device? (honestly, I can't see how it would be possible for the Portal to alter the HTML source to make it HTML5 compliant as the Portal is only embeddding the page)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Guillaume