cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Hadware migration for SAP 4.7EE on Windows and Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We are in the process of migrating the current SAP systems to a New hardware. Followig is our enviroenment.

*Current Environment:*

All servers currently running on Physical hardware

SAP version : 4.7 EE 200

OS version :Windows 2000 32 bit non Unicode

DB version : Oracle 10.2.0.4

Target Environment:

All servers (Sandbox, Dev, QAS and Prod(CI),Dialog instances) will be running on VMware other than Production Database

SAP version : 4.7 EE 200

OS version : Windows 2003 ent. 2003 64 bit non-unicode

DB version : Oracle 10.2.0.4

For Production system we will be planning a distributed installation i.e. CI (on Virtual ) and DB (Physical) on target. Since as per SAP note u201C1173954 - Support of Oracle for VMWareu201D Oracle doesnu2019t support for the issues which are occurred due to the root cause of VMware.

Although itu2019s not a big risk but customer doesnu2019t want to take any sort of risks. Therefore we have recommended the above scenario i.e. CI on virtual and DB on physical for Production system.

Can you please confirm is this scenario going to work fine as anyhow both servers will be on the same domain and accessing the same SAN?

In addition to this, we have suggested to procure the hardware which is Unicode compatible since in near future we have to perform the SAP version upgrade and Unicode conversion on the new hardware itself which we are going to procure now. Thus I think that my suggestion makes sense. Please provide your comments and feedback on this.

Regards,

Dheeraj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your scenario looks fine. But additional point is- Since in order to carry out this activity, you need to perform homogeneous system copy procedure, during system copy install your target system as unicode only. As a result you can save a lot of efforts later on including business downtime.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

Sorry to interrupt you and correct me , if am wrong. System copy from Non-unicode to unicode system might not work and will end up in lot of issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Sorry to interrupt you and correct me , if am wrong. System copy from Non-unicode to unicode system might not work and will end up in lot of issues.

What kind of 'lot of issues' ? Please share with us.

In any case, Dheeraj will have to go for another 'system copy' later during/after upgrade just for 'unicode coversion'.

However, if we go for unicode conversion 'now' with this hardware migration itself then two things -

1. Must choose 'Export/import' method of system copy

2. Must Read 'Unicode Conversion Guide' - so as to plan the whole procedure according to 'unicode conversion' not just according to 'system copy' - Several pre-systemcopy steps are needed.

Thanks

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No there will be no issues. Just use export/import method for it as said earlier.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies .As we are going for Backup/Restore method since both source and target will be residing on the same Data centre and Oracle version remains same.

So it means that Installing SAP as Non-Unicode on Unicode compatible hardware will works fine.

Yes, your suggestion makes sense in order to take up the Unicode conversion as well along with this hardware migration. But we have planned to perform along with SAP version upgrade in near future i.e. Combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion (CU & UC)

And unfortunately we are too late to suggest this to customer as the design and project plan has already been finalised.

Regards,

Dheeraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, itwill work. You can go with unicode supported hardware with non unicode Application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DatabaseSAP,

Dheeraj don't have to necessarily use export and import method and he can also use ONLINE/OFFLINE backup restore method.

Issues I was talking regarding, if he does the system copy between Non-unicode DB to unicode installation DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How about installing SAP on the mixed hardware infrastructure i.e. CI on Virtual and DB on physical.

Probably from Technical perspective this is possible and how about from support perspective. Does SAP supports/recommends such environment for Production system.

Since I have never done installation/migration on such environment nor heard of the same.

As i didn't find anything related to the same even in below link.

/docs/DOC-8954#section4

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Kudos

Hi Dheeraj,

Take a look at [community.emc.com/docs/DOC-12948]. This is an older doc from VMware but certainly still applicable. Page 7 talks about what you are asking. It has the DB and CI (probably ASCS now) on Physical and rest on virtual. This is probably what you would want. Good Luck

Allan Stone

SAP Solutions Architect

EMC Solutions Design Center

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Allan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For other environments except production, you can just install a SAP on new servers which is 2003 and do system copy from 2000 to 2003.

Production:- Yes, you scenario should work fine technically.

Thanks,

Arjun