cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress Analysis!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

In our project we are using Unit cost planning (no network costing is being used) and overall budget planning. I want to use progress analysis to calculate earned value and POC of the project . My question is , which measurement method shall i use,what shpould be EV Basis and what should be POC weighting?

Nature of work is divided into two parts; Purchase of material and erection work. Material purchased is issued to the contractor at project sites to do erection work . Progress of work is measured in terms of how much erection work is completed.

Please suggest..

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please go through SAP Help as all your requirements are explained there in great detail, and come back with a specific query if any..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abdul,

In some of the project EV basis used is '4Cost plant(active project,annual value)", POC weighting "6Weight(active project)",

Measurement method for activities" Time proportional(plan) & work(actual) " and for WBSE "Estimation". And in every activity i have given POC weight (like 10, 20 ,30 etc), cost planning method used is network costing. So, in these projects when i run txn CNE1 and CNE5 , system gives me earned values and POC accurately.

But, here my query is ; there are some projects in which we can not use network costing and plan POC is not necessarily linear with time (so here i think i can not use time proportional method in activities but still i am using it ), and when i adopt unit cost planning method instead of network costing and ran CNE1 & CNE5 , i am not able to have an earned values of the project from the system.

Kindly let me know if i need to change some configuration settings . Seeking experts' advices to meet the requirement.

Thanks.

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

EV basis used is '4Cost plant(active project,annual value)",

.......when i adopt unit cost planning method instead of network costing and ran CNE1 & CNE5 , i am not able to have an earned values of the project from the system.

>

> Kindly let me know if i need to change some configuration settings . Seeking experts' advices to meet the requirement.

>

> Thanks.

Please try as follows:-

EV Basis - 1 Cost Plan (active project, overall values)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply..i tried as you suggested but it did not work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please try following and let me know

Measurement method Cost proportionality- This method determines the percentage of completion proportional to the

cost distribution.

EV Basis- Cost Plan( Active Project Overall Values)

POC Weight - Cost Plan ( Active Project, Total Values)

Former Member
0 Kudos

as i am not planning cost by date , so cost proportional method is not working here.

Pls suggest..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please refer this

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/b3/d90e0b51e911d2a63b00104b59c1ec/content.htm

What kind of cost planning you are using? ECP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i am using unit costing.

Kindly let me know which measurement method(plan & actual ) shall i use for activity and wbse in this scenario and is it always required to give POC weight in activities or in wbse?

Thanks

Edited by: SAP PS on Nov 18, 2011 4:48 AM

former_member388328
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using costing. let us say if plan 25 units for a activity . Then use degree of processing (work). now if you complete five units. Just enter degree of processig as 20% complete, when you partailly confirm the activity.

Thanking you

Vengaiah Chowdary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply..but i want to tell you that we are not doing cost planning for activity, what i am doing is ;

I have marked some wbse as planning elements, then in txn CJ40 selecting period as OVERALL after that i select wbse against which i have to pan the cost and then press UNIT COSTING icon , here screen open where i create costing items by taking category eithr material(M) or variable items(V).

This is how i am doing cost planning in our projects at wbse element level only. And by taking the reference of this cost planning i am doing overall budgeting through txn CJ30.

Now, please suggest how should i approach so that i can have earned values and physical progress of the project by using progress analysis.

Edited by: SAP PS on Nov 18, 2011 10:11 AM

former_member388328
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

please let me know whether you are using activities in your project are not. If you are using activities then you call only calculate progress at activity level and aggregate that progress to the wbs's with weightage poc.

Now if you don't have activities. There are 7 or 8 methods stantard methods in sap . you create a project for different method and try them. then check which will be suitable to you.

if you want suggestion from forum then. then tell why are you planning to use progress analysis(your business requirement).

Thanking you

Vengaiah

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i am using activities in my projects ,but as i have already said that there are some projects where i am using network costing i am getting earned values and physical progress .But, there are also some projects where i do have activities but network costing is not applicable , in such projects i am doing unit cost planning for wbse and when i run txn CNE1 & CNE5 system doesnt give me physical progress and earned values.

is network costing mandatory to have earned values calculated?

former_member388328
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes , plan values are needed .