cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MAIL CONFIGURATION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement to set up or sap servers to send emails over the internet, and I got to know that I need a mail server in order to achieve this. I my previous experience I have always used an exchange server and this works fine.

But now, we have our mail servers are hosted in the cloud, we only have the smtp id and port, and nothing else, i have tried all what i could but non has worked, can anyone tell me if SAP only works a resident exchange server or there is something else I am missing.

I am currently of the opinion that sap works with only a resident exchange server.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phemmy,

Have you tried looking into a [SAP fax|http://www.interfax.net/en/solutions/sap-fax] service? I'm familiar with the one I linked, but there probably are other similar services. I think they have interesting solutions for cloud and exchange servers, and I think you can customize to work with what you need. Hope I helped.

Fran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We already have a cloud service for our mail servers, Management would not want to pay any extra cost for this service. I have raised a message to the Cloud Service porviders over this issue, but they are asking me why i would want to connect to the mail server without authentication.

Any one with any solution or an experience?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I already gave you a solution...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Olivier,

Your reply made good sense, but I am not experienced in creating a relay server as such, can you please enlighten me a little bit further?

Do I need to setup a new mail server for this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phemmy,

First thing I would do is to try convince your mail admins to enable mails receiving from your SAP host without authentication.

Otherwise, since sapconnect doesn't support authentication, you can install any mail server locally on SAP host and configure it to relay emails to your cloud mail server.

This local mail server must support authentication based on user and password, but I think most do it.

Then in scot you just set 'mail host' to localhost for related nodes.

Hope that helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Artur,

This local mail server must support authentication based on user and password, but I think most do it.

Did you mean NOT? cos its kinda confusing.

Now secondly, does this relay server become a replica of the mail server in the cloud or it will be used only for SAP mails. Why I ask is this, giving an example, I send a mail to an external address from SAP, sap uses the user email address (email address assigned to the user in SU01) as the sender's address. Now when the mail is sent, it goes via the relay mail server ( as you have said) to the exchange server on the cloud which then sends it to the recipients mail address. And when the Recipient sends a reply it goes to the original sender email address on the cloud. Now how does it return back to SAP since it is (SAP) connected to the relay mail server.

This is where i am kinda confused. I really do not understand how this works. I would really appreciate it if the process could be explained to me.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need something like that :

SAP --- no authentication smtp --> SMTP RELAY SERVER --- authenticated smtp ---> CLOUD SMTP SERVER.

The SMTP RELAY SERVER must be in your internal company network. It can even be on the same host as SAP server.

You have to choose a software. There are plenty of them (commercial and freeware).

As an exemple (which may be not suited for your need) I use a freeware called Hamster.

With this software, I can even set rules to use 2 different SMTP SERVERS depending from the mail domain of the sender address.

Why should the incoming mails go inside SAP ? Usually mails are sent from SAP but incoming mails are read from the users's PC with a mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See my idea.. since your cloud mail server doesn't accept connections from SAP you could use intermediate mail server which role will be only to relay messages between cloud and SAP. That mail server must be able to do two things: authenticate when connecting to cloud and accept connections from SAP. As I wrote - most of such software like exim or sendmail should be able to do it. This needs to be checked.

When speaking about receiving emails to SAP, configuration is fairly easy and well described in note 455140, however I very rarely see such scenarios. Usualy we use only outgoing emails in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys.....it now works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier ,

I have similar requirement to route PO email to different smtp server, i have downloaded the freeware hamster but it seem like there is alot of coding to be done.

Do you mind sharing what need to be configured in the freeware to route email to different smtp relay server.

Thank you.

Simon Kel

Edited by: Chua Simon on Dec 29, 2011 10:48 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

You have to write a script with Hamster script language (hsc).

What is inside depends from your specific requirements.

I tried to post an exemple script but I got this message

"We are sorry but your message can not be posted since you have included an email address. Please remove the email address and re-post. "

from the crappy forum software....

With this language, there are plenty of possibilities....

I was able to write my needed scripts after reading the documentation

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not yet answered

0 Kudos

Dear Phemmy,

Kindly refer the following SAP Note and its other referred notes:

455140 - Configuration of e-mail, fax, paging or SMS using SMTP

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Most probably, your mail server in the cloud needs a user/password authentication.

Unfortunately, SAP Mail server is not able to send a user/password authentication.

The work around in to install locally a SMTP relay server which will accept SAP mails without authentication (IP filtering is recommended) and forward the mails to the mail server in the cloud with user/password authentication.

Regards,

Olivier