cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing passwords of oracle users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all

I wander is there any problem if changing password of oracle users SAPOWNER, system,sys . (I guess command for that is brconnect -u system/<password> -f chpass -o <sapowner> -p <password>

). What about sys and system. (I hope that after changing passwords the system will be functional)

Which user is used when "sqlplus / as sysdba"

thank you in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jan,

I wander is there any problem if changing password of oracle users SAPOWNER, system,sys

Well we already discussed the SAPOWNER here: http://forums.sdn.sap.com/message.jspa?messageID=10814500#10814500

If you change the password of SYSTEM or SYS there will be no problem at all. These users/password combination is not used in a SAP environment unless you explicitly specify the SYSTEM user and password in some BR*Tools calls like brconnect. If you just use the "/" default approach, the OS authentication mechanism (OSDBA) is used - so no issue there at all.

@Orkun:

This is not a user, but a role. So when you connect to the database by using "/as sysdba" you will be able to connect to the system by sysdba role not by a user.

If you use this apporach you are connected with the user SYS - so you are using a user for sure (and btw. you can only logon with SYS by using SYSDBA role). The only difference between "sqlplus / as sysdba" and "sqlplus SYS as sysdba" is, that you are using the specified OSDBA group with the first approach (so no password is required).

shell> pwd
/oracle/<SID>/11202/rdbms/lib
shell> grep dba config.s
#  SS_DBA_GRP defines the UNIX group ID for sqldba adminstrative access.
        .rename H.16.ss_dba_grp{TC},"ss_dba_grp"
        .globl  ss_dba_grp{RW}
T.16.ss_dba_grp:
        .tc     H.16.ss_dba_grp{TC},ss_dba_grp{RW}
        .csect  ss_dba_grp{RW}, 3
# End   csect   ss_dba_grp{RW}
        .string "dba"

shell> sqlplus / as sysdba
SQL> SELECT sys_context('USERENV', 'SESSION_USER') FROM DUAL;
SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYS

shell> sqlplus SYS as SYSDBA
Enter password:

SQL> SELECT sys_context('USERENV', 'SESSION_USER') FROM DUAL;
SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','SESSION_USER')
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYS

Regards

Stefan

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In general brconnect is the SAP recommended tool to change the passwords of sap schema( ABAP and JAVA) users (sap<sid>for eg) as it updates the database dictionary of the password change as well as in the SAPUSER table (for ABAP schema )which is in the schema of the OPS$<SID>ADM. For JAVA schema , please make sure you change the password in the configtool for JAVA stack. For sys and system users, the change is generally done using sql .

When you login as sysdba , you actually login as user SYS as the OS user is a member of the dba OS group and hence you do not need a password to be explicitly specified . Use the "show user" sql to find out of the user

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>> I wander is there any problem if changing password of oracle users SAPOWNER, system,sys . (I guess command for that is brconnect -u system/<password> -f chpass -o <sapowner> -p <password>

). What about sys and system. (I hope that after changing passwords the system will be functional)

You can change the owner password by using brconnect. It will update the sapuser table, as well

>> Which user is used when "sqlplus / as sysdba

This is not a user, but a role. So when you connect to the database by using "/as sysdba" you will be able to connect to the system by sysdba role not by a user.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik