cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPCAR fails - wrongly reports missing free space

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running an upgrade on a unicode 6.4 R/3 system to get to 7.20

We have patched the CD (CD51039351) and got the latest SAPCAR for as/400 & windows.

We are on a v7r1 as/400. APARS & DB patches are up to date as of last month.

The install fails when it tries to run sapcar. The error message says missing free space but there is 75G free on the PC and 750G free on the as/400.

We can run the sapcar manually OK.

Anyone else had this issue?

eror message below

***********Beginning of data*************

Target SAP system is 'T03'.

SAP instance number is '15'.

Type of database system is 'DB2/400'.

Extracting archive "/Up/CD51039351/./DATA_UNITS/ABAP_CONTROL_GEN/CTRLABAP0.SAR" ...

Copying "SAPCAR" from "/Up/CD51039351/./DATA_UNITS/UM_SAPCAR_OS400_PPC64" to "/usr/sap/T03/upg/abap/tools"...

• FATAL ERROR: Extraction of '/Up/CD51039351/./DATA_UNITS/ABAP_CONTROL_GEN/CTRLABAP0.SAR' failed due to missing free space.

***********End of Data*******************

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had the latest ile.sar and sapup.sar applied but the problem remained.

Luckily we got a new install cd and that seemed to fix the issue.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

We experience the same issue, but only after patching SAPUP / ILE.sar with the latest downloaded SAPup according to OSS 1338386, p 5 - Upgrade to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2 ABAP (IBM DB2 for i)

Did this occur with the regular SAPUP / ILE.sar?

Thanks

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

"The error message says missing free space but there is 75G free on the PC and 750G free on the as/400."

Seeing as the as/400 has single level storage we do not have the unix problem of individual file systems filling up.

0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

You are right, free space should almost never be an issue on our platform. I was told that this message might be thrown in any case where extraction failed. The real error would in most cases show up in the log. So my suggestion is to look up the upgrade logs again and to check for additional messages. Job logs, spoolfiles of the upgrade user may also be of interest.

Did you use the same user profile to do manual extraction? Where did you get the exact syntax from?

HTH,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. We have been looking at spool files, logs etc but can only find the one error message reported above.

We used the same profile for the manual extraction but had to assume the syntax was something like

sapcar -xvf ...xxxxx.car

Any thoughts how we could discover the exact syntax used?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Make sure to use the same SAPCAR, should be located in /usr/sap/T03/upg/abap/tools according to your initial post. You also should add an 's' to the options, which is supposed to test free space. So something like

call qp2term

>cd <target>

>/usr/sap/T03/upg/abap/tools/SAPCAR -xsvf /Up/CD51039351/./DATA_UNITS/ABAP_CONTROL_GEN/CTRLABAP0.SAR

or even

>/usr/sap/T03/upg/abap/tools/SAPCAR -tsvf /Up/CD51039351/./DATA_UNITS/ABAP_CONTROL_GEN/CTRLABAP0.SAR

which avoids explicit extraction

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I haven't worked on i5/OS that much, may be it is looking for the space in /tmp directory ? Once verify all the filesystems/disks.

Thanks

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Error you getting is about insufficient space in upgrade directory.

Can you check whether you have enough space in upgrade directory.

Regards,

Deepak Kori