Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOC exchange between different businesses

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I have the following 2 scenarios to design:

1.I need to exchange an IDOC from an SAP system in my landscape (I'll refer to it as MySap from now on), to an external SAP system (I'll refer to as EXT from now on).

2. I need to exchange an IDOC from EXT to MySap.

In both scenarios - the IDOC invloved has a user defined extension.

I also have a PI system in my landscape. while for now the external system have no PI of her own.

for each of the scenarios I would like to know the benefits of the external party using a PI of thier own.

for the 1st scenario:

1. MySap -> PI -> EXT

2. MySap -> PI -> EXT PI -> EXT

for the 2st scenario:

1. EXT -> PI -> MySap

2. EXT -> EXT PI -> PI -> MySap

What is the best way to desing each of this options?

Should I be using the IDOC adapter when sending the IDOC to the external system? (EXT PI or EXT)

How should I identify the structure of the external IDOC? should I develop it the same way in MySap? should I somehow have the XSD of the structure (how can someone export an XSD of his IDOC without a PI?)

Any suggestion will be welocme.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

ii you wanted to transfer data between two SAP systems then you can directly send it through ALE IDOC/RFC in that case you have to check the firewall setup in your landscape...in such case but will not have good monitoring and message tracing capability....

with PI you can have monitoring and message tracing as well as all the capability and features of PI if you go through PI in between MySap -> PI -> EXT.

You have three options to integrate with SAP system through PI - IDOC/RFC/Proxy - if for your business case you have a std IDOC/RFC go with that otherwise go for proxy.

thanks

chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

So - there is no benefit at all in using a PI in the other landscape?

what about the questions I ask at the first message?

How will I import the IDOC that the external system developed? just use the standard import of an IDOC like any other system?

Should I at least use a different SWCV for the external system IDOC? (so it won't get mixed with an IDOC my side will develop)

Or maybe I should use an XSD file of the IDOC and import it as an external defenition? in that case - how will they be able to generate such an XSD?

Former Member
0 Kudos

ys import the IDOC and use that structure... perform all the configuration required in PI like SLD set up/Partner profile/RFC etc.

search on SDN you will get all the step by step procedures.

thanks

chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

this might help: [party based communication|;

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any particular reason that you want to send the data to a second PI system instead of directly to the EXT SAP system? Having an additional middleware will only add to overhead and decrease throughput.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem that can occur in the scenario external ECC -> PI -> ECC is this:

If the external ECC system has the same SID and client of an internal ECC system (any one in my landscape) - the PI will not be able to know which of them sent the IDOC (I can't define 2 different services with the same R/3 system ID and Client in the adapter specific identifier)