cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS migration from Windowns 2003 to LINUX SUSE10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear ALL,

I have got a requirement from the customer to Migrate their DEV/QAS IDES systems from Windows to Solaris.

Here is the current system details:

SAP : ECC5.0

Database : Oracle 10G

Target system Details:

SAP : ECC 6.0

Database : Oracle 11g(that comes with Ecc6.0)

Here I have some questions regarding this

-Only OS/DB migration certified consultants has to work on Migration?

(**These are NOT Production systems**)

-My customer is asking to go for SAP ECC 6.0 ,in this case what is the procedure

-First have to migrate current ECC5.0 to the Linux Os and then upgrade?

-Also let me know where can I get end-to -end documents for OS Migration from Windows to Solarin i.e starting from pre-checks in both the systems.

Appreciate your time and help on this.

-Srini Chapa.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

You are trying three things.

OS migration, sap upgrade and Db upgrade .are you sure about the three things.

Whats the size of the database ? Oracle specific techniques might be faster for the OS migration.But still you need a certified consultant.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are doing only OS migration and after that SAP upgrade.

DB size is 450 GB.

-Srini Chapa.

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

As long as kerenl is ok on both os version should be able to do a hetrogenous system copy

Check the system copy guides

www.service.sap.com/systemcopy

regards,

John Feely

Former Member
0 Kudos

I suppose you do know that Suse Linux and Solaris aren't the same?

Your first task will be to find out what exactly the requirement is.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

-Only OS/DB migration certified consultants has to work on Migration?

Yes, it is

-My customer is asking to go for SAP ECC 6.0 ,in this case what is the procedure

I don't know what Linux you will run but, under the normal conditions, you can choose upgrade to the ECC 6.0 and then migrate to Linux or migrate first then upgrade to ECC 6.0

-First have to migrate current ECC5.0 to the Linux Os and then upgrade?

Find the answer, above

-Also let me know where can I get end-to -end documents for OS Migration from Windows to Solarin i.e starting from pre-checks in both the systems.

check http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for your information!

In our case it's not a production system and it was like more of IDES system.

having DB size around 450 GB .

Still migration requires Certified consultants or we can go ahead ?

Also I've already gone through link provided by you ,but couldn't find relative docuemnt for migrating from Windows to Solaris.

As intial plan we will be doing OS migration and then will upgrade SAP to ECC6.0

-Srini Chapa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> Still migration requires Certified consultants or we can go ahead ?

If you will not involve certified consultant, then you won't get any SAP support.

>> Also I've already gone through link provided by you ,but couldn't find relative docuemnt for migrating from Windows to Solaris.

service.sap.com/osdbmigration is the link to have a basic and overall idea and understand the requirement related concepts and everything.

Actual technical procedure of OS/DB migration should be performed using 'System Copy' procedure (Export/Import method of copy i.e. heterogeneous copy). For that you go through the system copy guides according to your netweaver/basis release.

service.sap.com/systemcopy

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Still migration requires Certified consultants or we can go ahead ?

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

--> FAQ

All questions concerning the consultant can be read there.

> Also I've already gone through link provided by you ,but couldn't find relative docuemnt for migrating from Windows to Solaris.

Yes, because there is no specific documentation available to migrate from A to B. You may need special parameters for R3load and the database confiugration during the migration which change with increasing patchlevels or R3load adn database versions. This knowledge is available through migration consultans.

> As intial plan we will be doing OS migration and then will upgrade SAP to ECC6.0

Be aware that you need the newest kernel and tools available for the source system to do the migration. Since ECC 5.0 is out of general support you need to have an extended maintenance contract in place, otherwise you may not be able to get the newest kernels/tools which are required for the migration.

Also consider the following points:

• SuSE Linux 10 and Solaris 10 is different, it's not the same operating system.

• Solaris 10 is not supported as central instance and database server for ECC 5.0, just as application server so you won't be able to do a migration of ECC 5.0 to Solaris 10.

• If you plan to use SuSE Linux, keep in mind that the new 720_EXT kernel requires SuSE Linux 11 SP1 at least.

Markus