cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Hierarchy - modifying the levels

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are wanting to use the Product Hiearchy but are wanting to redefine the levels. We want 4 levels, 3-6-6-3. I've done some research and find that we are able to change the SAP standard of 3 levels to the 4 levels that we want. I've also found general documentation on how to do that. When I create my new Domains (ex: zprodh4 char3) and then try to change the main structure of PRODHS I get a pop up asking for an Access Key. So, I'm either doing something wrong or changing the product hierarchy levels does not survive an upgrade? Can anyone answer this for me. If you think I'm doing something wrong can you please give me detailed instructions on how to assign the new domains to the existing structure.

Thank you!

Tami

Edited by: Tami Ayres on Nov 14, 2011 9:24 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you again for the response. You've confirmed that I'm not doing anything wrong. And that link was the same instructions I was using to make it work. I'm applying for the access key and will make the changes after that.

Thank you again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the access key and am modifying data element PRODH1. I changed the domain to read ZPRODH1 which is my defined domain. I saved it.

1. When I go to activate it I get a list of dependent structures and tables that are to be adjusted. Of course this makes me nervous but I'm assuming this is normal.

2. When I start to modify my next data element PRODH3, I am prompted for the access key. I enter the same access key as I did for PRODH1 and there's an error telling me the access key is incorrect. Do you have to have an access key for each element and then the structure that you are modifying?

Sorry for all the questions but this modification is making me nervous and I just want it to be correct.

Thank you,

Tami

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you actually register the change of a certain object at SAP, each object you change need to be registered in an extra step and you get an individual access key. This is normal.

former_member1631
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tami,

Just one question, changing the length of standard data element will impact the where used programs as well as function modules. So how to handle that kind of scenario.

Thanks,

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response.

We are on version 7 so I know we can add more levels (up to 9 and max total length of 18). But when I try to modify the structure I am prompted for an Access Key.

1. Does this mean that this modification does not survive upgrades? Will I have to recreate this structure every time we do an upgrade?

2. If adding levels to the hierarchy does survive upgrades does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do it. I have read the SAP instructions in SPRO and I've read them on help.sap.com but they are pretty general and I need a few more details to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It certainly survives an upgrade, unless you are doing a mistake when performing the SPAU transaction.

An Access key is needed as the object is a DDIC object.

which details do you need, where do you struggle?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is what I've done so far.

I used tcode SE11 and created 3 new domains:

ZPRODH1 char 3

ZPRODH3 char 5

ZPRODH4 char 3

Now the instructions say to assign the new domains to the standard data elements.

What I'm doing is going to the Data Type Prodh1 and I want to change the domain to be ZProdh1. That's when I get prompted for the Access Key.

From your post it sounds like I need to get the Access Key from SAP and then continue on with changing the standard data types? And then when I've mapped those I go to the structure PRODHS and add a new field ZZPRODH4 with the type of ZProdh4?

Thank you!

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, exact as written in the docu:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/77/1a39516e36d1118b3f0060b03ca329/frameset.htm

(I acutally did it slightly different, I directly changed the length of the given domains, because I just need 3 levels as in standard only needed different lenth)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In ECC system PRODHS hierarchy level changed from 5,5,8 (3 Levels) to 3,3,3,3,3,3 (6) level. If you want to change the structure of product hierarchy in previous SAP version (standard SAP provide 3 level, with 5,5,8 length) ? If so you need to re-create the structure to match with your previous installation. Please compare the structure of PRODHS via SE11 between your prior release with ECC6.0.

To change the product hierarchy, just click on help in configuration path for Define Product Hierarchy. Hence you can modify the structure. Thanking you.