cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sender File Adapter not able to get file via FTP from an external system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Sender File Adapter using FTP which polls a server every 10 seconds looking for a file ".xml". The adapter will connect and pick up the waiting file, but sometimes the adapter not able to get file via FTP from an external system. The file is on the server, but despite the polling, the adapter does not pick up it. There is no return error.

The connect mode is Permanently and the transfer mode is Binary.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

T.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa,

does this case appears with a file size higher the others?

Personally, I do not recommend to have a polling under 1min.

10s could be too just, if the file is not small and/or if the file server is far (several kilometers) to where the Adapter Engine is, and/or this file server is beside a firewall. Do not forget also that, with previous points, you could have like a conflict, betwen the 1st polling and the 2nd polling, if in less 10s PI adapter has not enough time: to connect to the FTP server (several Km), find the file (perhaps among 100 other files in the directory), go back to the file to Adapter Engine server (several Km again), convert your file to XML message (with a complex Content Conversion), then check the XML structure, and when all that is done, return back to FTP server (several Km), to archive the source file... Well It's my understanding of a FTP exchange with FILE adapter...

If you really need a 10s polling, that's mean your have a pseudo real time interface. In that case, in my mind file should not be used! but we should use a Web service, JDBC JMS (any exchange without a physical object like a file). For me, it's a non-sens to have a file in that case.

regards.

mickael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa,

The point Michael has mentioned is valid.

10 seconds is very less time for the channel to get a file from the external FTP server.

Try changing the polling interval to atleast 100 - 150 secs and check if you are still facing the issue.

If the polling interval has to be 10 seconds, it is better to adopt another approach rather than FILE.

Regards,

Subbu