cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error during HANA server install

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I am having this error during HANA server install .

using the command hdbsetup -a server

The log shows this

INFO setting password of database user SYSTEM

-

Connection refused: retrying ..(0)

IndexServer is alive: pid= 6594, args=hdbindexserver

Connection refused: retrying ..(50)

IndexServer is alive: pid= 6594, args=hdbindexserver

ERR: Cannot set password of database user SYSTEM

ERR: Connect failed: Crashed Index Server

Please Advice

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please triiger the server installation as ./hdbinst (as mentioned above).

Are you installing it on a VMWare?

Hope you are using the 'root' user for installation.

Regards, Rahul

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers , as such the problem was more in linux configuration .. not in the HANA part .

I have a couple of other questions , I can open a new thread if you want .

1. I installed components individually in this order ---> host_agent , clients , server , studio , lm

I also see that everything is GREEN by using the command

/usr/sap/hostctrl/exe/sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetProcessList

So Does it mean , I have installed everything and thus I dont have to do the installation via HANA_IM_LINUX__X86_64 using setuphana.slmodel ? (or does this tie everything together in the end ) ?

2. I am unable to use the STUDIO , in the sense I dont see Administrator Console Perspective" . How do I start using HANA using the HANA In-Memory Studio ?

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

host_agent - to be installed on server

server - to be installed on server (your HANA database)

clients:

- to be installed on server - if some server application needs to directly access you HANA database (for example BO Data Services, BOBJ, etc.)

- to be installed on client - if your local application needs to access HANA database (BO Data Services, Excel, etc.) or if you want to use hdbsql interface

studio:

- to be installed on client - as this is GUI for managing HANA

- for installation on server - I do not see added value (except having it as backup option) - and yes with rev.13 I also observed that administration functions are missing (since that I did not tried and I removed it from our server)

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

you stop and start SAP HANA same way as other SAP system - stopsap and startsap from <sid>adm user.

For the "HANA_IM_LINUX__X86_64 using setuphana.slmodel" part - I have no clue what you mean - can you be more specific?

Tomas

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HANA_IM_LINUX__X86_64

Contains the installation master

The details are given in the Installation guide . This option probably installs all the components at one go .

( I had seen that it autmatically installed the saphostctrl)

Here one does the installation

$./setup.sh /tmp/hanainst setuphana.slmodel

where setuphana.slmodel is a file where one inputs parameters like SID, data path , log path etc .

I had tried this option first , but it failed because of of my earlier linux issues , so then I tried instaling components individually .

but anyway I have the HANA studio , so what do you suggest to do about it, so that I can see the administrative functions . would installing it on another Linux machine which is not the hana server - enable it to get the admin functions ?

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am observing very strong focus (much bigger that anywhere else) towards silent installation of SAP HANA... I would guess that SAP is preparing HANA for automated deployments...

Thanks for this tip - I was not aware - I am going to check this feature to see how it works

For the "missing" administration in Studio - I do not think that it is related to the fact that HANA Studio is installed on same machine as HANA Database.. I would rather say that Linux edition is simply missing this feature...

Unless your users are using Linux OS on their workstations - you do not need to care a lot - Windows edition is having this feature. HANA Studio is like SAPGUI for ABAP - you install it on end user workstations and than they will use it to connect to HANA Database to do the modelling as well as administration (depending on their role and privileges). Having it installed on server is having very low added value and asking users to connect to Linux server to launch Studio is not practical from security perspective.

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have a couple of other questions , I can open a new thread if you want .

>

> 1. I installed components individually in this order ---> host_agent , clients , server , studio , lm

>

> So Does it mean , I have installed everything and thus I dont have to do the installation via HANA_IM_LINUX__X86_64 using setuphana.slmodel ? (or does this tie everything together in the end ) ?

Hello,

I just noted that there is one component missing in your landscape - Software Update Manager (SUM)

Tomas

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

i am neither a basis person or linux person .

I did notice the SUM , but did not think of it or know how to install it earlier .

so how do i install it ( sapcar ?)

i think that was also taken care by the IM_Master.

i agree with you about the silent install part. honestlty it should be done for everything SAP . I remember trying to instll R/3 and XI vs ECC and PI . the later was so much easier but stuill needs lot of hand holding.

My installatiosns/download does not seem to contain the studio ( WIN 64 ) format , just the linux ones in either Platform or enterprise ...

rishi

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

for SUM there is SAP guide::

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604952011

for download of studio you need to go to support packages section and download from there

Tomas

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Using the automated "silent" install is even better , as it installs everything at "one GO" including the SUM part.

all I had to put in the file was 5 params : SID , instance#, data and log file path and hostname and BINGO everything installed .

I just tried it on my laptop running SLES SAP Linux on vmware . It worked !!!

but I still could get the HANA studio . In the support packakes section there are a bunch of sar files of HANA Studio 1.0 for linux , win64 etc but not the actual installer .

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP HANA Studio packages:

http://service.sap.com/swdc
  Support Packages and Patches
    Browse our Download Catalog
      SAP NetWeaver and complementary products
        SAP HANA
          SAP HANA ENTERPRISE EXT. EDIT.
            SAP HANA ENTERPRISE EXT. 1.0
              Entry by Component
                SAP HANA studio
                  SAP HANA STUDIO 1.00
                    Windows Server on IA32 32bit --or-- Windows on x64 64bit
                      IMC_STUDIO100_vv-xxxxxxxx.SAR

Unpack the archive and install - installation guide is here:

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604592011

SAP HANA Client packages:

http://service.sap.com/swdc
  Support Packages and Patches
    Browse our Download Catalog
      SAP NetWeaver and complementary products
        SAP HANA
          SAP HANA ENTERPRISE EXT. EDIT.
            SAP HANA ENTERPRISE EXT. 1.0
              Entry by Component
                SAP HANA client
                  SAP HANA CLIENT 1.00
                    Windows Server on IA32 32bit --or-- Windows on x64 64bit
                      IMDB_CLIENT100_vv-xxxxxxxx.SAR

Unpack the archive and install - installation guide is here:

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604582011

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just one point to mention: the SUM, as of now, can only be used for SP level update cannot be used for Revision updates.

Regards,Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a similar issue trying to install I have tried the above steps with on luck. I found this link with the exact same error I am getting;

http://www.qnasap.com/error-during-hana-server-install/ But no answer as yet

I remember seeing a HANA step by step installation guide a few weeks ago but I cannot seem to track it down. This guide included the prerequisites and server setting i.e. kernelu2019s and packages required prior to installation. Does anyone know where I could find this guide or know of the prerequisites before beginning the installation i.e java etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Michael

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas

Thank you so very much , for being so patient with me .. I noticed them as you mentioned them to me in your earlier posts but thought that they were just patches . I want to give you 100 points but the system now allows only 2 points )

Yeah the studio is now installed , thanks again . but the HANA server status is not green. It said sapstartsrv not started or something , although the rest of the services were up. I did not have time to poke about it yet but will probably need your help again on this .

@rahul thanks too .

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> I have a similar issue trying to install I have tried the above steps with on luck. I found this link with the exact same error I am getting;

> http://www.qnasap.com/error-during-hana-server-install/ But no answer as yet

>

> I remember seeing a HANA step by step installation guide a few weeks ago but I cannot seem to track it down. This guide included the prerequisites and server setting i.e. kernelu2019s and packages required prior to installation. Does anyone know where I could find this guide or know of the prerequisites before beginning the installation i.e java etc.

>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Regards

>

> Michael

Hello Rajarshi,

Michael seem to have same error as you did - you mentioned that the issue was on Linux part - can you please mention how you resolved?

Thanks

---

Hello Michael,

you can find all SAP HANA guides here (including installation guides):

http://help.sap.com/hana_appliance

for database installation you need this one:

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604572011

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah the studio is now installed , thanks again . but the HANA server status is not green. It said sapstartsrv not started or something , although the rest of the services were up. I did not have time to poke about it yet but will probably need your help again on this.

Hello,

what exactly is not green - can you please post some screenshot?

I am also thinking about starting new thread - not because of points but because this thread is starting to address several separate issues and might be difficult for later readers to understand which solution is related to which issue.

Tomas

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Michael

Wierdly that site had mirrored my question on this forum out there ...

anyway the install guides are

overall : https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604562011

server : https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604572011

client : https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000604582011

but as such you can have ALL guides at this link https://service.sap.com/hana

about the linux part , I initially installed the SUSE Enterprise Server 11 (SP1) , but its bit bloated and its better to do a stripped down installation , but then you might run into problems unless you are a linux expert , because of lib dependancies .

BUT , there is a version . JUST suited for us .. Its SUSE Enterprise 11 (SP1) for SAP .

http://www.suse.com/products/sles-for-sap/

Please choose the "base installation" only. This works like dream and requires no user intervention at all . [sets up partitions by itself , a drawback if you want to create and size your own ] . It suited my purposes as I was using blank HDD i.e not trying to make linux co exist with other OS .

This SUSE took care of all necessary pre requisites . you only have to configure the network part . and make sure that you add "IP" "FQDN" "shortname" in the /etc/hosts

for me , i ran into issues using the automated installer , but used the hdbsetup or hdbinst -a dir (where applicable)

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Tomas , you are right . I will open a new thread . I mentioned the points ,as I know that many on forum are very very keen on it . althought it seems rather silly to me

but before I do that I have 2 queries .

1. you mentioned in an earlier post about pasting the log using "code section" for readability.

( what is that / or how do i do it )

2. you mentioned screenshot , how does one provide screenshots here , should i put it on some other site and points its link on here ?

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

1. you mentioned in an earlier post about pasting the log using "code section" for readability. ( what is that / or how do i do it )

When you are replying to this thread you got some icons above the window - bold, italic, underline, code, link, spell check and quote. Please highlight the text and click on code icon "< >" there will be special tags placed before and after the highlighted text. This text will then be formatted in different way (proportional font, preserved line breaks, no wrapping) - it will be much more readable.

2. you mentioned screenshot , how does one provide screenshots here , should i put it on some other site and points its link on here ?

Yes you need to find different site and then post link here. You can use for example this one:

http://imageshack.us

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Tomas , you are right . I will open a new thread . I mentioned the points ,as I know that many on forum are very very keen on it . althought it seems rather silly to me

Actually I do not think that it is silly. Humans by nature like to compete to each other - you got Olympic games, World Championship, etc. I think that turning forum contributions into the game is brilliant idea - it keeps people motivated. Of course it is wrong if people will do it purely for the points trying to provide any answer just to earn as much as they can.

Tomas

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Oh I absolutely agree that its the point system that keeps this SAP forum alive and thriving, else people really would not have bothered to spend so much time/effort helping..... and forums is a good way to gain visibility amongst millions in the SAP world.

Every 2-3 years, I move into something new , and so try to install and try , and without forums i could have never done that ..

What I really meant , i had seen some people on forums "posting" just for the sake or posting or to get points . and that seemed silly.

I see that you are from Czech Republic, I have a small association with Czech , I worked / (rather did work) for a company called CEZ on its Temelin VVER.

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

hehe... got some friends working for them

Tomas

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

oh thats cool, , actually i worked a nuclear engineer ( not in sap) for Temelin during 2009 doing its core designs . Temelin had given its core design contracts from russia to a american company called westinghouse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for the help, issue is resolved on my side using SUSE for SAP resolved my problems.

Incidentally my parents come from Czech but now we are living in South Africa.

Thanks again.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please try to use only "./hdbsetup" or "./hdbinst" without specifying "-a server".

can you please paste here full installation log (please use code section to make it readable).

You can find it in: /var/tmp/hdb_<SID>_<action>_<time_stamp>

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

sir please guide me a hana admin work will be only with admin console or else he will be wodsrking with modelling and development console

regards prashanth