Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS job vs ChaRM import via task list

shaun_kitching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have successfully piloted ChaRM in a maintenance region, however there is one small defect we would like to try and rectify. It's around the import of transports and how these are scheduled.

Obviously these can be scheduled directly via the task list, however, the smallest frequency is once a day. This doesn't suit our requirements as we want this job to run every 15minutes.

So we setup the job in STMS. Initially we were getting an error saying "You cannot import any requests for project at the moment". It also said "The project switch is currently set to Requests cannot be imported."

As a result of this error, I went into our maintenance project and into System Landscape>Change Requests>Show Project Status Switches. Here I was able to change the status so "Requests can be imported". I did this for our source systems (120 and 600).

The job now works and runs every 15min. The only problem is that for Production, the job imports transports with no consideration for the Phase of the maintenance cycle. For example, if the phase is NOT set to "Go-Live", the job will still import into Production regardless. Where as, you could not import to Production via the task list unless the phase was set to "Go-Live".

So I'm thining that I'll change client 600 back to "Requests cannot be imported' in the Project Status Switch and I'll manage this via the task list manually. However, STMS will run the job for 120.

Does this seem viable? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had the same issue as you wth the Job scheduling via the Task List, as standard is pretty poor in that you can only schedule jobs daily (what we are doing at the moment is scheduling 3 daily jobs per client/system, which is a lot of effort to setup).

The Task List job scheduler is good however in that it allows you to leave the project switches locked to Imports not allowed, this still allows imports triggered by the Task List job. It was essential in our landscape that it was not possible to import transports outside of ChaRM so we needed to keep the switches locked, hence why we did it via Task List.

We are in the process of enhancing the standard functionality hopefully to get the "best of both worlds".

I would recommend for Production systems that any import is triggered manually via the Task List and the project switches always remains at Imports not allowed.

Answers (0)