cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of using sm04 to terminate transactions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I'm temporarily using SM04 to terminate user sessions which are 2 hours idle. We cannot set it on rz10 parameter where it automatically does the termination for idle processes because we have transactions(uploading) which lasts more than 2 hours and the system reads it as idle as well.

My question is that, are there negative implications on the system if I always make use of sm04 to terminate user sessions?

Please avise.

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As long as transactional upload in progess/alive for more than 2 hours (in dialog mode), i believe system will not consider it as idle. Once upload finishes from then on it will consider the idle time as per parameter settings.

Depend on the time stamp of the user session, if it is old with no visibility/movement of any transactions then you can terminate user session from from SM04. It does't have any negative implications. In fact by doing that more resources will available for more number of users.

Rgds,

Durga.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If you release the session with SM04, system will do the same as if user had logged of correctly. No locks should occur. It should be safe to do so. However, a pop-up screen on users monitor will appear, telling them that the connection to SAP was terminated.

BR

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The uploading was through LSMW. Was this an exception to the parameter?

Thank you for your response

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

Any suggestions regarding this?

Thank you in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I set rdisp/gui_auto_logout to 60 in our qas system to try if it would kick a user who is uploading data which is good for about 3 mins of uploading. And yes, it terminated the session which is still uploading.

What am i missing here? please suggest.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

i guess default value is 1800, but you set it for 60 in qas for testing. If the session is still getting terminated then i suggest to think in other way. I mean check the upload program with ABAPer, there might be some loops / data issue within the upload program may also be the case. This is just a thought to think in other angle.

Also in QAS check any other upload program which is also having uploading data fro more than 3 min.

As far as the parameter point of view everythinh shud be fine in your case.

Rgds,

Durga.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Will rdisp/gui_auto_logout also consider transactions running in background as active?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Definitely it will not consider background active jobs.

Rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For your query , you can set parameter rdisp/gui_auto_logout

Parameter description(RZ11) :

You can define that inactive users are automatically logged off from
the SAP system after a specific period of time has expired.
This parameter specifies the time period in seconds.

Hope this will help you , as mentioned above if your upload/download is runing its not consider as INACTIVE for that time out you need to consider parameter rdisp/max_wprun_time.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When you are sure that the user sessions is idle then you can kill or release the session from transaction SM04. There should not be any negative impact.

Please always check work process trace files and memory usage of that session before you kill the session. I advise you to check the real status of the user session from SM04-->select particular row/line of that user session --> menu USER -->Technical Information. If you see status as DISCONNECTED, it means you can delete the session without any issues.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

Siva Kumar