cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Support Packs in MOPZ

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to Solution Manager. We're in the midst of upgrading from R3 4.6 to ECC 6.0 EHP4. We have upgraded our DEV box to ECC 6.0 and I'm trying to use MOPZ to calculate the needed files for EHP4. I have added DEV to SMSY, all the RFC's are correctly assigned and working and I clicked on the 'Read System Data Remote' button, which was successful. Our DEV box is ABAP only, not a dual-stack.

When I create a new MOPZ transaction, choose the 'Calculate Files Automatically' option and click on 'Continue', I get the following error:

RFC destination is not available to get switch framework information!

I have looked at the help file and it basically says it wasn't able to get the switch framework information from the technical system because no RFC destination to the technical system was maintained in SMSY. I don't have a technical system configured for DEV, I didn't think I needed to for an ABAP system, what am I missing here?

Thanks,

Ken

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did this change and OK it worked.

But it doesn't make big sense... explanations...

Adding this parameter will turn MOPZ into internal mode. It won't ask to the systems you have selected at the beginning which components have to be patched.

That's why the red flag made my MOPZ turns into a yellow flag allowing you to continue without working RFC connections between your Solution Manager and your ECC systems or CRM systems...

So what can be the effect ?

In our case we have Industry Solution ECC-DIMP activated in sfw5. Only one Industry Solution can be activated in one system.

=> So normally when i make a MOPZ for one of our systems with working RFC connections, mopz says that other industry solutions related components won't be patched (as IS-OIL...). So for example, instead of bringing IS-OIL to equivalent level (defined by the SP stack you have choosen), it won't patch it. So it will be benefic for your downtime as there are some packages that won't be installed.

=> If you add the validation_mode parameter after being blocked by rfc connection, the system you are doing a mopz for won't be asked and MOPZ will calculate the stack in internal mode. The effect is the following : each industry solution that you don't use will be patched to last support package level. Impact is downtime can be higher than it would have been without these support packages that are optional...

So before adding this parameter which is for SAP internal use, think twice and check your RFC connections deeply.

Best regards,

Christian

Edited by: cabrita787 on Mar 7, 2012 5:46 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much, adding a parameter has solved the issue.

david_byrne2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Ken that worked first time. I did exactly that yesterday and it didn't work for me probably because I had not logged out after applying note 1590226.

david_byrne2
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm having exactly this problem and have searched for this Validation_mode parameter but cannot find it.

in tx su3. Is is only available at a particular support pack level?

I have Solman 701. Can you direct me to this parameter please?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SU01, bring up the user that you are accessing MOPZ with, go to the Parameters tab, enter VALIDATION_MODE for Parameter ID and X for Parameter Value. Save and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos

Problem solved after added this parameter via SU01.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ken - setting VALIDATION_MODE has fixed the problem for me. Can I ask how you found out about that parameter - any SAP documentation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wish I could take all the credit, but it was a support person that helped me find the answer. He said he found it reading through some case files.

Thanks,

Ken

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think what Sunny is trying to imply is that while it may be an ABAP system, if you have incorrectly defined the usages in

SMSY by selecting the incorrect product instances as relevent, for instance XI Content or SAP XECO, or SAP XXS or Portal Content, as an example, then you will be required to provide a technical system. If you saved the defintion, and if you haven't defined a technical system, then you would have created the requirement for one, by selecting the wrong product instances in SMSY for the system. This is what Sunny is getting at by asking how it is defined.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your reply. I've only marked one instance as being relevant, the SAP ECC Server instance. I just went back to double check that I didn't accidentally mark anything else as relevant and the SAP ECC Server instance is the only one. I don't believe that would require a technical system, am I incorrect?

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you propery defined the systems in SMSY, all RFC are working fine?

Did you get any system name in the error messge, if yes check the trusted RFC of the particlular system.

You can look at the guides over here [Media Lib- EHP Upgrades|https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000708115&] for defining the system in SMSY.

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I believe I have properly defined the system in SMSY. I didn't get any errors and all the RFC connections are assigned and connect with no errors. The only problem I saw was in SMT2, the trusting system RFC wasn't working because it didn't recognize sapms<sapsid> service. Once I added that to my services folder in my OS, it started working, but I still get the same error in MOPZ.

Thanks,

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an answer, although I doubt it is the THE answer. After talking with another BASIS guy, we both determined that my system was properly defined in SMSY, yet MOPZ was still giving the RFC error when trying to calculate the necessary files.

There is a parameter you can set in the user profile, VALIDATION_MODE, that allowed me to bypass the error and continue the process of calculating the files. I don't understand what the real problem is, but this at least allowed me to start downloading the files for EHP4.

Thanks,

Ken

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

How you have defined your system system in SMSY?

Thanks

Sunny