cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NW701 with DB2 moving to Oracle 10g

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

please i need your help regarding one point. I have right now OS: Suse linux Enterprise Server 64 bit and i run on it Netweaver 701 with DB2 database. I decided to change the DB to Oracle 10.2 and later upgrade it to 11.2 (as a test).

Problem is that i don't know how to "migrate" this db. Can i install Oracle "independent of sap" and then link it somehow.

I was looking for a guide for how to change the DB but i did not find anything from sap like "step by step".

I am doing all this as a test to be able to prepaire for 11.2 upgrade.

Edited by: superfly on Nov 3, 2011 3:16 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why are you so keen on upgrading from Oracle 10g to 11g? If you perform a heterogenous system copy from Linux/DB2 to Linux/Oracle, then there is no reason to import the data into release 10g. You should import the data into 11g right away.

Do you know that you'll need a migration key from SAP to do the import?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

that's why i needed a guide, to be able to check the prerequisites. I did not know about the migration key.

Anyway this is on my own test machine, i don't have "real" data. All the kits for sap,os are downloaded for test purposes.

I was planning to try the 11g upgrade before i do it on production, but it appears that trial versions for test are available just on maxdb or db2.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As posted before download the heterogenous system copy guide from SAP Service Marketplace. This will have all the pre-requisite information before you start the migration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

>

> that's why i needed a guide, to be able to check the prerequisites. I did not know about the migration key.

> Anyway this is on my own test machine, i don't have "real" data. All the kits for sap,os are downloaded for test purposes.

> I was planning to try the 11g upgrade before i do it on production, but it appears that trial versions for test are available just on maxdb or db2.

This is the case of OS-DB migration, so, you need some OS DB certified person onsite to do it. Read it on http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyway this is on my own test machine, i don't have "real" data. All the kits for sap,os are downloaded for test purposes.

I was planning to try the 11g upgrade before i do it on production, but it appears that trial versions for test are available just on maxdb or db2.

So if your motivtion is to perform a database upgrade just for test purposes, it doesn't make sense to perform a heterogenous system copy from DB2 to Oracle. Better try a new installation with Oracle 10g, that is much easier. You don't need SAP trial installations for that, they are not available with Oracle anyway. Use the ordinary installation media from SAP to perform a clean installation. Then perform the upgrade from Oracle 10g to 11g for training purposes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mark for the advice. I will perform a clean installation on my test environment. It is better than complicating myself with db migrations and system copy.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please follow heterogenous system copy procedure for your system.

Guide will be available on http://service.sap.com/instguides.

Look for SAP notes mentioned in the migration guide to have smooth migration process.

Hope this solves your purpose.

Regards,

Deepak Kori