cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to support without proper documentation ? Need advices !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

I am in a support project. Right now KT is going on but there is no documentation at all. Only highlevel process flow is being explained by the current team who are going to leave in a week. I am expected to support SD, after that. Client has been using SAP since 13-14 years and they have been customizing it like anything over the time.

Please advise me on how I can understand the current SAP system ?? How to dig in to it ? How do I get to the details ?? They have some 30 variants in Delivery due job !! How to understand the logic behind the ABAP programs in it ?

Sorry if my question is not clear.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Apart from above suggestions, the best bet would be learning from super users about the business process. Since they are always involved in any development/testing phases, they are very well familiarized with initial design/changes. You can also try to get any write-ups that they made and keep. Based on their input, you can easily explore the SAP settings.

Regards,

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I only have 1 session with the consultant handing over to me.... not 1 week. Me SD take over SD and MM...well now still survive well.

Things I do:

- Have a good relationship with users though maybe hard....

- Do a lot testing.

- Find out all the z t codes from TSTC and test it to see how it works.

- Find out all the background jobs. Do manual program run to see how it works for some jobs that I do not understand.

- Ask user log tickets, learn from experience.

- Ask user for more details. but don't ask unnecessary questions.

- Think logically.

- Don't overtime. have a good rest to have a clear mind.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In many support projects, this is a common feature and you have to face the music. Based on your past experience, you should handle the issues on case to case basis.

Coming to your query, first of all, you need to ensure that you have listed out all existing TCodes and interfaces being used by the client. For that, sit with the existing team and check from TSTCT table which are the tcodes used by the client. Similarly for interfaces also, insist to prepare some basic documentation if not in detail. Unless some basic documentation is given, you dont take the responsibility. If you are not able to tackle this situation, escalate to your Project Manager and ask him to get things done.

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sharan and Lakshmipathi,

thank you so much for your valuable suggestions.

I will wait for few more suggestions from the forum and then change the status of this thread to "ANSWERED".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What you need to do is start from the scratch.

Prepare KDS document by looking at SPRO settings.

Take a List of All ZTcodes and Zreports from the client.

Then start test cycles for various processes Domestic sales, export sales, Third party process, STO etc.,

You will come to know if there are any enhancements are there in the normal transactions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sharan