cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central instance on Windows , DB instance on UNIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Client wanted to install ECC6 implementation on hetrogeneous environment. Database instalnce on HP-UX , Central instance on Windows2003. I know that technically it is possible but it is very complex . My questions is do we face any problems during installation / after that installation. What about future upgradation ? how simple ? what are the disadvantages if we select this senario.Also license ,software download on windows/unix We need to put all this to client .

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

Kristene

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kristene,

from my point of view it is not more complex as any other heterogeneous three tier installation. I think the most important question for you should be "What is the motivation of your client to choose this combination?".

The advantages are probably good performance for a low price. The Windows application servers leverage a very good performance but they does not scale as good as some Unix flavors. My recommendation would be to use 4 CPUs with or without dual Core technology and 16-32GB of Memory. On the other hand you have a scalable database server with HP-UX (at least you can get one from HP - probably not as cheap as the Windows servers).

The disadvantages are that you have a inhomogeneous environment and you need knowledge for two platforms. You may be run into problems because the combination is not as well tested as others. But this is only a small risk, because you and I don't know how well which combinations gets tested. May be your target combination is not as extra ordinary as you expect.

From a license perspective or upgrade path you'll have no problem. But, you may be should ask HP which of the available CPUs you should choose. I would assume that Itanium is preferred by HP, but I can be wrong. Also on Windows you may be should ask which CPU you should use (Core 2, AMD or Itanium). I personally wouldn't choose Itanium for Windows (price / performance and unknown availability of Windows for Itanium in the future).

Best regards

Ralph Ganszky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kristene,

I am planning to do this kind of installation where the CI is on Windows and Database instance is on UNIX. Please let me know what documentation you followed to do this. Also please share your experince regarding this. Thanks much for your help. Can you please send reply to the id :- msaijyothsna@gmail.com. Thank you.