cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 720 patch level 8 installation failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All, we are trying to install SAP GUI 720 patch level 8 with our SAP Distribution Server, via logon scripts.

Some of our workstations are updated without problems but we have a strange situation where some others are not updated (or installed) at all.

This is the part of log of interest for the update process that works:

14:21:11 NwSapsAtlC 1 Script: szMsOfficeDir = C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\

14:21:11 NwSapsAtlC 1 Script: szMsOfficeVersion = 11

14:21:11 NwSapsAtlC 1 Variable-Script-Action: Installation prerequisites for Calendar Synchronisation for Microsoft Outlook are fulfilled.

This is the part of log of interest for the update process that DO NOT works:

13:26:44 NwSapsAtlC 1 Script: szMsOfficeDir =

13:26:44 NwSapsAtlC 1 Script: szMsOfficeVersion =

13:26:44 NwSapsAtlC 1 Variable-Script-Action: Installation prerequisites for Calendar Synchronisation for Microsoft Outlook not fulfilled.

13:26:44 NwSapsAtlC 1W Marking package sapgui_720_patch_level_8_instpack ({6C22DEDA-762E-4071-84DA-0DF5BE81B711}) as disabled: selected node Outlook Client extension for the synchronisation of SAPoffice calendar with the Outlook calendar. Requires Microsoft Outlook 98 or greater. Not compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2010 ({82A65EF0-F00B-4A4B-9E73-06A8A025E763}) has failing condition.

13:26:44 NwSapFeiUt 1 Condition '%Pre_CalSync%=FULFILLED' evaluated to false.

13:26:44 NwSapsAtlC 1W Marking package sapgui_720_patch_level_7_instpack ({A231B089-ADC2-404D-8ACD-36346319E58D}) as disabled: selected node Outlook Client extension for the synchronisation of SAPoffice calendar with the Outlook calendar. Requires Microsoft Outlook 98 or greater. Not compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2010 ({82A65EF0-F00B-4A4B-9E73-06A8A025E763}) has failing condition.

13:26:44 NwSapFeiUt 1 Condition '%Pre_CalSync%=FULFILLED' evaluated to false.

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1W Package 'sapgui_720_patch_level_8_instpack' could not be selected!

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1W Engine: Inserting empty collection of actions... Nothing to do!

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1 Formulating 0 actions took 0.6 seconds

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1E No actions created, nothing to do!

13:26:44 NwSapSetup 1 Engine execution failure.

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1 Engine: Shutting Down Installer

13:26:44 NwSapsEngn 1 Engine: flushing memory

13:26:44 NwSapSetUI 1 UI-Manager: Flushing memory and resources

13:26:44 NwSapsAtlC 1 StringTable released

13:26:45 NwSapsEngn 1 Engine: flushing memory

13:26:45 NwSapsEngn 1 This Engine Instance lasted 0.0666667 minutes

13:26:45 NwSapsEngn 1 Engine Deleted

13:26:45 NwSapsEngn 1 EngineContext released

13:26:45 NwSapsAtlC 1 StringTable released

13:26:45 NwSapSetUI 1 SapSetup UI Library Unloaded

13:26:45 NwSapsEngn 1 SapSetup Workstation Engine Library Unloaded

13:26:45 NwSapSetup 1 -

13:26:45 NwSapSetup 1 Return-Code: 48

13:26:45 NwSapSetup 1 -

13:26:45 NwSapsAtlC 1 SapSetup ATL Common Library Unloaded

On all of our workstation there is Office 2000 sp3 installed but we don't use, so we don't have, outlook installed.

Any idea?

Best Regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Franco,

On one of the affected machines, do the following:

1 - From page 45 of the frontend installation guide.

Start -> Control panel -> Add/remove.

2 - After this, please make sure that the folder

Program files\SAP\FrontEnd is properly removed. Otherwise delete

it manually.

3 - Re-install the 720 with patch 8.

Best Regards

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jude, thank you very much for your reply.

On the affected machine there is nothing installed so I can't uninstall anything.

There are no sap directories, for the same reason, because nothing was installed on that workstations.

The Installation server level is 8.6.1.65

Any idea?

Best Regards

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Franco,

Very odd that there is no installation! .

I would first ensure that you are using the latest SAPGUI Compilation 3 DVD downloadable from here:

http://service.sap.com/swdc

Installations and Upgrades

Browse our Download Catalog

SAP Frontend Components

SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS

SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS 7.20 CORE

Installation

Then upgrade your installation server to 8.6.1.70 from the sapmats link shown in the note

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jude, thank you again for your reply.

For a test purpose I have created another installation Package (single-file installer) without the components "General Add-Ons", so all the stuff related to SAPphone and outlook are not present this time.

With this kind of package the installation works perfect.

I am not complete satisfied because I have done 20 installations with the original package, the one with the "General Add-Ons" included, without any problems.

For that reason I don't think it's a matter of upgrading the installation Server to 8.6.1.70.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Best Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Jude said, please do the following:

See note 1587566 and download these two files (better see the note if there is a newer version):

SapSetup_patch.exe (patch to SapSetup):

https://sapmats-de.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=ZM9F9VLXTFHKULI5K4DERSETD1A4B7HZ871YY478IZYUSO...

SapWUS_patch.exe (patch to SapSetup, SAP AWUS, SapStart):

https://sapmats-de.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=XGPTN0RBSVAP6TMV5VAJYKNNH8WH1FZDUBGZ25VOODTRON...

The files are Patch Executables that can be applied to your installation server with NwSapSetupAdmin.exe (-> apply patch).

Your version after the patch will be 8.6.1.72 and hopefully solve your problem.

Regards,

Jann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jann, thank you very much for your reply and for your suggestions.

I have patched SAP Distribution Server to 8.6.1.72 and make a new single file installer but I end up in the same errors.

The situation now is even more strange because on some other workstations I have the same entries in the log, I am talking about those entries related to "outlook" in my first post, but the installation completes successful.

Any other idea?

Best Regards

Edited by: Franco Bottani on Nov 3, 2011 11:11 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this case I would recommend to open a service message in BC-FES-INS with the problem with the relevant log file(s) attached. Do you have an error log (SAPSetupErrors_<DateTime>.xml)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you again for your reply.

I don't have such a file.

I only have NwSapSetup.log under c:<program files\sap\SapSetup\LOGs\

Best Regards

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Franco,

The only error I see in your logfile is

1E No actions created, nothing to do!

Which means that the operation has already completed.

The nwsapsetup.log file is the one we are looking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jude, do you mean that you would like to see the entire log?

I can post it here in 2 parts because it exceed the maximum characters permitted in this forum.

Best Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I ran into exactly the same issue. My package installs fine on an XP machine with Outlook 2007, but fails as described with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. SAP not 691407 makes reference to the fact that the Calsync function has issues and is no longer supported.

Open your package for configuration and select "Change package content". Then drill down to "SAP GUI for Windows 7.20" --> "General Add-On". You can see the description for the "Outlook client extension" clearly indicates that it is incompatible with Outlook 2010.

I solved the issue by simply deselecting the "Outlook client extension" from the package. It now installs properly in all environments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done the same and I can confirm that the package now installs properly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Seems like the error occurs because of issues with SAPoffice and MS Outlook. See note 691407 for further information on SAPoffice.

Do the machines where the update succeeds use other software / preferences than those machines where the update fails? Are they for example in an AD, have an other OS etc?

Regards,

Jann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jann, thank you very much for your reply.

For what I know the workstations are all on the same AD, use the same software and same OS which is Windows XP but I need to investigate more with the people that prepare the Workstations to make sure that it's really like that.

Best Regards.